ruby graph: coordinate plane?

Michael Linfield

4/5/2008 4:17:00 AM

Been digging through the net this past day and I can't seem to come up
with any gem that supports coordinate plane graphing.

Checked out mainly Ruport, Scruffy, and GNUplot

They all have scatter plots but I'm looking to plot in the negatives as
well, something a standard scatter plot wont let you do. Sadly I also
checked Excel's ability toward scatter plotting, but once again, no
Coordinate plane.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

- Mac

Phlip

Michael Linfield wrote:

> They all have scatter plots but I'm looking to plot in the negatives as
> well, something a standard scatter plot wont let you do. Sadly I also
> checked Excel's ability toward scatter plotting, but once again, no
> Coordinate plane.

I can't believe gnuplot can't do that.

Tip: Just look at gnuplot itself, not the thin gnuplot.rb wrapper. Bypassing
the wrapper to turn on extra gnuplot features is quite easy.

--
Phlip

Joel VanderWerf

Michael Linfield wrote:
> Been digging through the net this past day and I can't seem to come up
> with any gem that supports coordinate plane graphing.
>
> Checked out mainly Ruport, Scruffy, and GNUplot
>
> They all have scatter plots but I'm looking to plot in the negatives as
> well, something a standard scatter plot wont let you do. Sadly I also
> checked Excel's ability toward scatter plotting, but once again, no
> Coordinate plane.

What do you mean by "plot in the negatives"? Gnuplot seems to support
scatter plotting, but maybe I don't know what you mean...

Todd Benson

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 11:17 PM, Michael Linfield
<globyy3000@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Been digging through the net this past day and I can't seem to come up
> with any gem that supports coordinate plane graphing.
>
> Checked out mainly Ruport, Scruffy, and GNUplot
>
> They all have scatter plots but I'm looking to plot in the negatives as
> well, something a standard scatter plot wont let you do. Sadly I also
> checked Excel's ability toward scatter plotting, but once again, no
> Coordinate plane.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Mac

I'm not aware of the limitations of the tools you're talking about,
but you can transform your scatter "set" to positive if need be (i.e.
moving the origin in the x,y negative direction temporarily). This
shouldn't be that much of a problem unless your distribution distance
is large and your data is severely clumped (like a Pluto orbiting way
out there in a solar system with a bunch of planets hanging close to a
small star).

Todd

Michael Linfield

Todd Benson wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 11:17 PM, Michael Linfield
> <globyy3000@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> - Mac
>
> I'm not aware of the limitations of the tools you're talking about,
> but you can transform your scatter "set" to positive if need be (i.e.
> moving the origin in the x,y negative direction temporarily). This
> shouldn't be that much of a problem unless your distribution distance
> is large and your data is severely clumped (like a Pluto orbiting way
> out there in a solar system with a bunch of planets hanging close to a
> small star).
>
> Todd

I need it to be a Cartesian Coordinate plane (4 quadrants) for the
reason being that I plan to apply the results to a jpeg/bmp.

Marcelo

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 10:17 PM, Michael Linfield
<globyy3000@hotmail.com> wrote:

> They all have scatter plots but I'm looking to plot in the negatives
> as well, something a standard scatter plot wont let you do. Sadly I
> also checked Excel's ability toward scatter plotting, but once again,
> no Coordinate plane.

Try tioga.

Marcelo