Problem using Javascript with Ruby

Jt Taylor

4/1/2008 7:19:00 PM

Hello,

I am new to Ruby and I am currently creating a webpage which lists bug
*stats* information for various development teams. Each team is
represented on the page with an image.
When a team's link is clicked, I want 2 things to happen:

1) Javascript needs to call the displayLogo() method to handle visual
effects
2) Ruby needs to call the loadCustomLinks() method to display a link

Current Behavior: When a team link is clicked, the javascript effects
appear
and then disappear, followed by the display of the
team's
custom link.

Expected Behavior: When a team link is clicked, I want the javascript
effects
to STAY active after the custom link is displayed.

I expect that my issue is more related to Javascript than to Ruby, but I
also want to make sure that I am using good Ruby programming
practices...

Any help is appreciated,

JT

<code>
#
home_controller.rb------------------------------------------------------------

class HomeController < ApplicationController
layout 'mainLayout'

def index
end

def loadCustomLinks
@team_links = "<a href='#' style='color:white'> Special Team Link
</a>"

# javascript
(embedded)---------------------------------------------------------

function displayLogo(name)
{
// De-select last selected item
document.images[lastName].src = "/images/" + lastName + ".png";

// Highlight team icon
document.images[name].src = "/images/" + name + "_hover.png";

// Activate team banner
document.images["logo"].src = "/images/logo_" + name + ".png";

// Re-activate siteBanner (TEMP FIX)
document.images["siteBanner"].src = "/images/logo_dashboard.png";

// Set lastName
lastName = name;

} // end displayLogo()

#layout.rhtml

<%= link_to(image_tag('/images/banner_team1.png',
:id => 'bannerImgAlign', :name => 'banner_team1',
:style => 'border:0', :onclick => 'displayLogo("banner_team1")'),
:action => 'loadCustomLinks') %>

</code>

Tim Hunter

Jt Taylor wrote:
> I expect that my issue is more related to Javascript than to Ruby, but I
> also want to make sure that I am using good Ruby programming
> practices...

I'm guessing that when you say "Ruby" you mean "Ruby on Rails," in which
case the RoR mailing list is going to be more helpful than this list.
Ruby is a general purpose programming language. Ruby on Rails is a web
application framework written in Ruby.

Check http://www.rubyonrails.com... to find out more about the
RoR mailing list.

Good luck!

--
RMagick: http://rmagick.ruby...
RMagick 2: http://rmagick.ruby...rmagick2.html

Jt Taylor

Tim Hunter wrote:
> Jt Taylor wrote:
>> I expect that my issue is more related to Javascript than to Ruby, but I
>> also want to make sure that I am using good Ruby programming
>> practices...
>
> I'm guessing that when you say "Ruby" you mean "Ruby on Rails," in which
> case the RoR mailing list is going to be more helpful than this list.
> Ruby is a general purpose programming language. Ruby on Rails is a web
> application framework written in Ruby.
>
> Check http://www.rubyonrails.com... to find out more about the
> RoR mailing list.
>
> Good luck!