How to uninstall locally installed ruby?

Artem Voroztsov

3/30/2008 8:41:00 PM

Linux.

1) Why there is no target 'uninstall' in Makefile (generated by ./configure)?
2) How to uninstall locally installed ruby?

I just compiled and locally installed version 1.9 and want to roll back to 1.8

Thanks!

Artem

2 Answers

Thomas Adam

On 30/03/2008, Artem Voroztsov <artem.voroztsov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Linux.
>
> 1) Why there is no target 'uninstall' in Makefile (generated by ./configure)?

Pass.

> 2) How to uninstall locally installed ruby?

Assuming you have the original source tree, you could do:

make -n install > ./somefile

And edit "somefile": s/cp|install/rm -fr/g -- as apropos, and then
run the file through your shell.

-- Thomas Adam

Artem Voroztsov

2008/3/31, Thomas Adam <thomas.adam22@gmail.com>:
> On 30/03/2008, Artem Voroztsov <artem.voroztsov@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Linux.
> >
> > 1) Why there is no target 'uninstall' in Makefile (generated by ./configure)?
>

> Pass.
>

> > 2) How to uninstall locally installed ruby?
>

> Assuming you have the original source tree, you could do:
>
> make -n install > ./somefile
>
> And edit "somefile": s/cp|install/rm -fr/g -- as apropos, and then
> run the file through your shell.
>

> -- Thomas Adam

Hmm. I'd prefer there was better way.

But thanks!