[ANN] RubyGems 1.1.0

Eric Hodel

3/29/2008 8:42:00 AM

= Announce: RubyGems Release 1.1.0

Release 1.1.0 adds some new features and fixes some bugs.

New features:

* RubyGems now uses persistent connections on index updates. Index
updates are
much faster now.
* RubyGems only updates from a latest index by default, cutting
candidate gems
for updates to roughly 1/4 (at present). Index updates are even
faster
still.
* `gem list -r` may only show the latest version of a gem, add --
all to see
all gems.
* `gem spec` now extracts specifications from .gem files.
* `gem query --installed` to aid automation of checking for gems.

Bugs Fixed:

* RubyGems works with both Config and RbConfig now.
* Executables are now cleaned upon uninstall.
* You can now uninstall from a particular directory.
* Updating from non-default sources fixed.
* Executable stubs now use ruby install name in shebang.
* `gem unpack` checks every directory in Gem.path now.
* `gem install` now exits with non-zero exit code when appropriate.
* `gem update` only updates gems that need updates.
* `gem update` doesn't force remote-only updates.
* `gem update` handles dependencies properly when updating.
* Gems are now loaded in Gem.path order.
* Gem stub scripts on windows now work outside Gem.bindir.
* `gem sources -r` now works without network access.

Other Changes Include:

* RubyGems now requires Ruby > 1.8.3.
* Release notes are now printed upon installation.
* `gem env path` now prints a usable path.
* `gem install` reverts to local-only installation upon network error.
* Tar handling code refactoring and cleanup.
* Gem::DependencyInstaller's API has changed.

For a full list of changes to RubyGems, see the ChangeLog file.

== How can I get RubyGems?

NOTE: If you have installed RubyGems using a package system you may
want to
install a new RubyGems through the same packaging system.

If you have a recent version of RubyGems (0.8.5 or later), then all
you need to do is:

$ gem update --system (you might need to be admin/root)

(Note: You may have to run the command twice if you have any previosly
installed rubygems-update gems).

If you have an older version of RubyGems installed, then you can still
do it in two steps:

$ gem install rubygems-update (again, might need to be admin/root)
$ update_rubygems (... here too)

If you don't have any gems install, there is still the pre-gem
approach to getting software ... doing it manually:

1. DOWNLOAD FROM: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...
2. UNPACK INTO A DIRECTORY AND CD THERE
3. INSTALL WITH: ruby setup.rb (you may need admin/root privilege)

== To File Bugs

The RubyGems bug tracker can be found on RubyForge at:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=add&group_id=126&am...

When filing a bug, `gem env` output will be helpful in diagnosing the
issue.

If you find a bug where RubyGems crashes, please provide debug output.
You can
do that with `gem --debug the_command`.

== Thanks

Keep those gems coming!

-- Jim & Chad & Eric (for the RubyGems team)

21 Answers

Ryan Davis

On Mar 29, 2008, at 01:41 , Eric Hodel wrote:
> = Announce: RubyGems Release 1.1.0
>
> Release 1.1.0 adds some new features and fixes some bugs.
>
> New features:
>
> * RubyGems now uses persistent connections on index updates. Index
> updates are
> much faster now.
> * RubyGems only updates from a latest index by default, cutting
> candidate gems
> for updates to roughly 1/4 (at present). Index updates are even
> faster
> still.

Double YAY!!!

James Tucker

On 29 Mar 2008, at 09:02, Ryan Davis wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2008, at 01:41 , Eric Hodel wrote:
>> = Announce: RubyGems Release 1.1.0
>>
>> Release 1.1.0 adds some new features and fixes some bugs.
>>
>> New features:
>>
>> * RubyGems now uses persistent connections on index updates. Index
>> updates are
>> much faster now.
>> * RubyGems only updates from a latest index by default, cutting
>> candidate gems
>> for updates to roughly 1/4 (at present). Index updates are even
>> faster
>> still.
>
> Double YAY!!!

Double second that, well done and thanks to the rubygems team!

Trans

On Mar 29, 4:41 am, Eric Hodel <drbr...@segment7.net> wrote:

> * RubyGems now requires Ruby > 1.8.3.
> * Release notes are now printed upon installation.

Where do these release notes come from?

T.

Christopher Dicely

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 6:34 AM, Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 29, 4:41 am, Eric Hodel <drbr...@segment7.net> wrote:
> >
> > * RubyGems now requires Ruby > 1.8.3.
> > * Release notes are now printed upon installation.
>
> Where do these release notes come from?

Well, from the error message I get when installing, they are supposed
to be installed in doc/release_notes/rel_1_1_0.rdoc, for some reason
I'm not getting anything in that directory buy a css stylesheet and a
makedoc.rb script.

Trans

On Mar 29, 11:26 am, "Christopher Dicely" <cmdic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 6:34 AM, Trans <transf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 29, 4:41 am, Eric Hodel <drbr...@segment7.net> wrote:
>
> > > * RubyGems now requires Ruby > 1.8.3.
> > > * Release notes are now printed upon installation.
>
> > Where do these release notes come from?
>
> Well, from the error message I get when installing, they are supposed
> to be installed in doc/release_notes/rel_1_1_0.rdoc, for some reason
> I'm not getting anything in that directory buy a css stylesheet and a
> makedoc.rb script.

Why would you be "getting" anything at all in that directory?

T.

Luis Lavena

On Mar 29, 10:34 am, Trans <transf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 29, 4:41 am, Eric Hodel <drbr...@segment7.net> wrote:
>

> > * RubyGems now requires Ruby > 1.8.3.
> > * Release notes are now printed upon installation.
>
> Where do these release notes come from?

The release notes came from here:

http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/doc/release_notes/rel_...

That is a compact version of that ChangeLog states.

HTH,
--
Luis Lavena

Aaron Patterson

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 05:41:34PM +0900, Eric Hodel wrote:
> = Announce: RubyGems Release 1.1.0
>
> Release 1.1.0 adds some new features and fixes some bugs.
>
> New features:
>
> * RubyGems now uses persistent connections on index updates. Index updates
> are
> much faster now.
> * RubyGems only updates from a latest index by default, cutting candidate
> gems
> for updates to roughly 1/4 (at present). Index updates are even faster
> still.

Yay! Thank you!

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovem...

Trans

On Mar 29, 12:25 pm, Luis Lavena <luislav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 29, 10:34 am, Trans <transf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 29, 4:41 am, Eric Hodel <drbr...@segment7.net> wrote:
>
> > > * RubyGems now requires Ruby > 1.8.3.
> > > * Release notes are now printed upon installation.
>
> > Where do these release notes come from?
>
> The release notes came from here:
>
> http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/doc/release_notes/rel_...
>
> That is a compact version of that ChangeLog states.

Okay, I guess I'm confused. Does "Release notes are now printed upon
installation" mean upon installation of RubyGems itself, or upon
installation of any gem? I was taking it to mean the later.

T.

Eric Hodel

On Mar 29, 2008, at 06:34 AM, Trans wrote:

> On Mar 29, 4:41 am, Eric Hodel <drbr...@segment7.net> wrote:
>> * RubyGems now requires Ruby > 1.8.3.
>> * Release notes are now printed upon installation.
>
> Where do these release notes come from?

Dang, I didn't double-check to make sure release notes got shipped.
You will have to wait until the next release of RubyGems.

matt

Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net> wrote:

> = Announce: RubyGems Release 1.1.0
>
> If you have a recent version of RubyGems (0.8.5 or later), then all
> you need to do is:
>
> $ gem update --system (you might need to be admin/root)
>
> (Note: You may have to run the command twice if you have any previosly
> installed rubygems-update gems).

Could someone explain how to do this on Mac OS X 10.5.2? I tried:

gem --version
=> 1.0.1

sudo gem update --system

Lots of stuff scrolled by, but afterwards, I still see:

gem --version
=> 1.0.1

This might be related to the fact that

which gem
=> /usr/bin/gem

but the update process reports that gem was installed in
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework etc etc etc.

Clearly I am just thrashing about here... Thx for any help - m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt@tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits...
Leopard - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/leopard-custom...