INTERPRETED LANGUAGE

Jitendra Rai

3/26/2008 6:26:00 AM

IS IT NECESSARY FOR AN INTERPRETED LANGUAGE TO BE CASE SENSITIVE?

Michael Fellinger

Sorry, I cannot read you, my eyes are case sensitive.

^ manveru

Arlen Cuss

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:45 PM, Michael Fellinger <m.fellinger@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sorry, I cannot read you, my eyes are case sensitive.
>
> ^ manveru

I was going to ask if anyone else found this as punny (get it!?) as I did.

On the other hand, to Jitendra:
case-sensitive in what fashion?

Arlen

cobyr

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 12:51 AM, Arlen Cuss <celtic@sairyx.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:45 PM, Michael Fellinger <m.fellinger@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Sorry, I cannot read you, my eyes are case sensitive.
> >
> > ^ manveru
> >

> I was going to ask if anyone else found this as punny (get it!?) as I did.
>

> On the other hand, to Jitendra:
> case-sensitive in what fashion?
>
> Arlen

Jitendra,

The short answer is No it is not necessary for an interpreted language
to be case-sensitive.

It all depends on the interpreter.

There is nothing that would prevent you from developing a language and
an interpreter that was case agnostic.

-Coby

Ken Bloom

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 01:25:36 -0500, Jitendra Rai wrote:

> IS IT NECESSARY FOR AN INTERPRETED LANGUAGE TO BE CASE SENSITIVE?

10 LET A$="NO IT IS NOT"
20 PRINT A$
RUN

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu...

Robert Dober

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Ken Bloom <kbloom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 01:25:36 -0500, Jitendra Rai wrote:
>
> > IS IT NECESSARY FOR AN INTERPRETED LANGUAGE TO BE CASE SENSITIVE?
>
> 10 LET A$="NO IT IS NOT"
> 20 PRINT A$
> RUN

basic.rb:4: syntax error, unexpected tCONSTANT, expecting $end
10 LET A$="NO IT IS NOT"

BTW this is run with Ruby1.8 but Ruby1.9 gives the same results, this
is very troublesome. Like Ken I was certain that bASic was a subset of
Ruby ;)
Robert

--
http://ruby-smalltalk.blo...

---
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Gareth Adams

Robert Dober wrote:
> BTW this is run with Ruby1.8 but Ruby1.9 gives the same results, this
> is very troublesome. Like Ken I was certain that bASic was a subset of
> Ruby ;)
> Robert

No, Ruby is basic. BASIC isn't Ruby

Gareth

Jason Roelofs

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Gareth Adams <gareth.adams@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert Dober wrote:
> > BTW this is run with Ruby1.8 but Ruby1.9 gives the same results, this
> > is very troublesome. Like Ken I was certain that bASic was a subset of
> > Ruby ;)
> > Robert
>
> No, Ruby is basic. BASIC isn't Ruby
>
> Gareth

Forgot your sarcasm detector today Gareth?

Anyway, he's probably asking because his capslock is stuck on. Such a
sad ailment to be had on so many people.

Michael W. Ryder

Jitendra Rai wrote:
> IS IT NECESSARY FOR AN INTERPRETED LANGUAGE TO BE CASE SENSITIVE?

What do you mean by case sensitive? In Business Basic the interpreter
allows you to enter commands in lower case but automatically converts
them to uppercase before storing them but doesn't touch information in
strings. For example, entering 10 a$="This is a test" and then listing
the program will show: 10 LET A$="This is a test".
The interpreter considers commands and variables to be case insensitive
but strings to be case sensitive. Variable A$ is the same as a$ but
"This is a test" is not the same as "this is a test".

Marc Heiler

> TO BE CASE SENSITIVE?

There are pros and cons.

But since your question is so short, I think its better to reply with
only a short answer like the above, and leave it at that :-)

Rick DeNatale

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:25 AM, Jitendra Rai <jitendra.vinsol@gmail.com> wrote:
> IS IT NECESSARY FOR AN INTERPRETED LANGUAGE TO BE CASE SENSITIVE?

No, no, nO!

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby