Re: How can I develop a Web Application using ruby without rails

Wendell Hatcher

Try merb.

http://merb...

Also, here is an article that goes over 10 other ruby web frameworks besides rails.

http://rbazinet.wordpress.com/2008/01/14/10-alternative-ruby-web-f...

Zoltan Dezso <maildeliverysubs@freemail.hu> wrote:
Pradeep Belagapu wrote:
> I have an idea about developing web application using Ruby on Rails.
> But I don't know how to develop a web application using only ruby
> without rails. Is it possible? If possible how can I handle requests,
> actions, responses etc., Please clear my doubt as early as possible.
>

> Thanks
>
> Pradeep Kumar

Hi,

I am currently developing Ruby (not rails) web applications for mobile
phones - so yes, you don't need rails.

To get some basic information about the cgi version, i recommend
starting here:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/htm...

You can get information about eruby and mod_ruby (for apache) from this
site:
http://modru...

These are not frameworks, they just execute ruby code. If you are using
apache, it is fairly straightforward to set up the eruby executable to
handle your requests for you and you just basically embed ruby inside
html like this:
This is HTML

etc.
A tutorial can be found here: http://www.hiveminds.co.uk...

With mod_ruby or fastcgi, you can get even more control over the
response, you can create a small ruby program that catches the request
and generates the whole response.

print "HTTP/1.1 200 OK\n"
print "Content-Type: text/plain\n\n"
print 'Static text.'

is a very simple handler that just displays that static text. Of course,
as Robert mentioned before, you can use CGI to help you, like:
require 'cgi'
c = CGI.new
print c.header('type'=>'text/plain')
print 'Static text.'