Rubybrain.com

Zoop Zoop

3/24/2008 4:33:00 PM

I am really confused by rubybrain.com.
I like the interface much more than the ruby-doc.org documentation, Ajax
makes it much more responsive.
But somehow I could never find what I was searching for and ended up
looking somewhere else.
Just some minutes ago I wanted to look up Ruby's String methods... not
such an unusual task one might think.
Searching for the String class led me here:
http://www.rubybrain.com/api/ruby-1.8.6/doc/index.html?a=C00000226&n...
But where are the instance methods?
The ruby-doc.org docs have them:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/S...

Someone please tell me what I do wrong (with the optional hint that I am
stupid)!

Luis Lavena

On Mar 24, 1:32 pm, Zoop Zoop <manuel.meu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am really confused by rubybrain.com.
> I like the interface much more than the ruby-doc.org documentation, Ajax
> makes it much more responsive.
> But somehow I could never find what I was searching for and ended up
> looking somewhere else.
> Just some minutes ago I wanted to look up Ruby's String methods... not
> such an unusual task one might think.
> Searching for the String class led me here:http://www.rubybrain.com/api/ruby-1.8.6/doc/index.html?a=C00000......
> But where are the instance methods?
> The ruby-doc.org docs have them:http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/S...
>
> Someone please tell me what I do wrong (with the optional hint that I am
> stupid)!

Do not NoobKit [1] also work for you?

I don't know about these projects, each one implements the search and
documentation functionality quite differnt.

[1] http://www.n...

HTH,
--
Luis Lavena

Zoop Zoop

Luis Lavena wrote:
> Do not NoobKit [1] also work for you?

Thanks, Luis, I'm gonna try that!

Anyhow, does anybody else have any idea why Rubybrain.com does not
contain instance methods?

Marc Heiler

While noobkit is visually pleasing and I think a step in a right
direction (hope the official ruby website can incorporate some ideas) I
think using flash is a bad idea for documentation. (They use flash for
side-navs last time I checked)

Ken Bloom

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:32:45 -0500, Zoop Zoop wrote:

> I am really confused by rubybrain.com. I like the interface much more
> than the ruby-doc.org documentation, Ajax makes it much more responsive.
> But somehow I could never find what I was searching for and ended up
> looking somewhere else.
> Just some minutes ago I wanted to look up Ruby's String methods... not
> such an unusual task one might think. Searching for the String class led
> me here:
> http://www.rubybrain.com/api/ruby-1.8.6/doc/i...
a=C00000226&name=String
> But where are the instance methods?
> The ruby-doc.org docs have them:
> http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/S...
>
> Someone please tell me what I do wrong (with the optional hint that I am
> stupid)!

rubybrain.com includes only methods from the standard library (http://
www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/) which you get by require'ing various files
outside of the core itself. It does not include the core methods at all.
It also doesn't tell you which files you need to include to get specific
instance methods (though you can see this by clicking "show source").

ruby-doc.org suffers from the opposite problem. www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib
is really nice, letting you know exactly what you need to include, but
www.ruby-doc.org/core is miserably broken, mixing the core methods and
the stdlib methods with no way of telling which is which.

noobkit.com gets it right for the core documentation, but works like
rubybrain.com for the stdlib documentation.

I feel these all miss the features that are truly necessary to use the
documentation. The underlying schema should be as follows:

+-------------+-----------------------------------------+
| ClassName | |
| MethodName | (null if we're talking about a class |
| | or a module) |
| FileDefined | (or a special marker for core methods) |
| DocComment | (the doc comment for this class/method |
| | in this file) |
| IsModule | (for class/module definitions only) |
| SuperClass | (for class definitions only. |
| | Never store "Object" here, because some |
| | fancy logic is in order to determine |
| | whether we're extending the class or |
| | defining it for the first time with |
| | no ancestor.) |
+-------------+-----------------------------------------+

One should be able to filter by ClassName, FileDefined, or MethodName
(and hopefully some predefined groups of files, corresponding to natural
standard library divisions) including several of these criteria
simultaneously, and get a single documentation page that lays out all of
the documentation matching the filter.

Anybody got a rails app that does that?

http://www.iit.edu...

Zoop Zoop

Interesting.
Ken, what do you think of gotapi.com?
You have to add the RoR or "Ruby standard packages" API first.

Ken Bloom

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:05:26 -0500, Zoop Zoop wrote:

> Interesting.
> Ken, what do you think of gotapi.com? You have to add the RoR or "Ruby
> standard packages" API first.

Pretty good. It doesn't include the ruby core though. Guess I need two
different sites, plus "gem server" for my gems?? That's too much
difficulty.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu...

Jeffy Dahmer

On 02/07/2014 05:47 AM, AlleyCat raved:

> On Fri, 7 Feb 2014 03:06:43 +0100 (CET), Queers In The Rear says...
>
> https://www.i...
>
> If Google buys any more of the sites I use, I will start up my own sites.
>
> There are ALWAYS alternatives. Google is NOT a verb, morons. If you like
> being tracked and spied on, that just shows your ignorance. I KNOW I'm
> being spied on, but I'm not letting GOOGLE have the pleasure of helping.

And to think that just six years ago rightards like you were accusing
anyone who objected to having their Internet use monitored by the
government of being terrorists or criminals. Emperor Bush (and now
Chairman Obama) is just trying to protect the Homeland, so why do you
object to being spied on if you've got nothing to hide?

BTW, I've used Ixquick and DuckDuckGo for the last year or two. I'm
still not certain that they aren't operated by the NSA itself, but they
can't be any worse than the Google company which has voluntarily allowed
the NSA to tap into its servers for years.

TRMatt

On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 06:21:13 +0000, Jihad Jeffy
<chefjeff@cannibal.org> wrote:

>On 02/07/2014 05:47 AM, AlleyCat raved:
>>
>> On Fri, 7 Feb 2014 03:06:43 +0100 (CET), Queers In The Rear says...
>>
>> https://www.i...
>>
>> If Google buys any more of the sites I use, I will start up my own sites.
>>
>> There are ALWAYS alternatives. Google is NOT a verb, morons. If you like
>> being tracked and spied on, that just shows your ignorance. I KNOW I'm
>> being spied on, but I'm not letting GOOGLE have the pleasure of helping.
>
>And to think that just six years ago rightards like you were accusing
>anyone who objected to having their Internet use monitored by the
>government of being terrorists or criminals. Emperor Bush (and now
>Chairman Obama) is just trying to protect the Homeland, so why do you
>object to being spied on if you've got nothing to hide?
>
>BTW, I've used Ixquick and DuckDuckGo for the last year or two. I'm
>still not certain that they aren't operated by the NSA itself, but they
>can't be any worse than the Google company which has voluntarily allowed
>the NSA to tap into its servers for years.

I like Google for news and mail for this NG. Don't use it for
personal mail. Saved the ones you mentioned will try them.

A little off topic do either of you know a good Newsgroup Client like
" "Agent 1.92" I use that will work on Windows 8? Don't care for the
new agent they just had to change everything. The programmers must be
X Microsoft employees.

Obama'sLegionofFlashMobs

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 23:47:11 -0600, AlleyCat <alley@aohell.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 7 Feb 2014 03:06:43 +0100 (CET), Queers In The Rear says...
>
>https://www.i...
>
>If Google buys any more of the sites I use, I will start up my own sites.
>
>There are ALWAYS alternatives. Google is NOT a verb, morons. If you like
>being tracked and spied on, that just shows your ignorance. I KNOW I'm
>being spied on, but I'm not letting GOOGLE have the pleasure of helping.

Use www.duckduckgo.com if you don't want to be tracked with cookies or
marketed to based on searches.

CB
Hillary's Southern Strategy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M...

Yoorghis

On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 07:48:19 -0500, Obama's Legion of Flash Mobs @
7/11.nig wrote:

>CB
>Hillary's Southern Strategy

Is working....

Up nearly 30 pts over any possible idiot republican

Charley Barta---Racist (and friend of PAJAMAFOOL) states:

>To appose racial mixing is respecting race not putting it
>down. People are different, in skin color and belief. We are not mutts like some
>mono-culture. - CB

"Fuck you nigger" - CB

"To appose racial mixing is respecting race not putting it down. People are
different, in skin color and belief. We are not mutts like some mono-culture."
- white supremacist CB

What a hate , hate filled homo, bigot