memory allocation reporting?

Joey Marino

I created a script that using up alot of memory very quickly. All the
resources like file handles, db results, and objects are being freed. I am
using a third party library so I am wondering if the problem lies with their
code.
My question is what would I use to make a report showing how much memory is
being allocated by which objects, methods and variables. I remember a
professor doing something like this with run times in c++ with the gcc
compiler.
--
Joey Marino

2 Answers

Glen Holcomb

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Joey Marino <joey.da3rd@gmail.com> wrote:

> I created a script that using up alot of memory very quickly. All the
> resources like file handles, db results, and objects are being freed. I am
> using a third party library so I am wondering if the problem lies with
> their
> code.
> My question is what would I use to make a report showing how much memory
> is
> being allocated by which objects, methods and variables. I remember a
> professor doing something like this with run times in c++ with the gcc
> compiler.
> --
> Joey Marino

You could try Bleakhouse or mem-inspect.

**Disclaimer - I've used neither of these gems

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

ara.t.howard

On Mar 24, 2008, at 10:22 AM, Joey Marino wrote:

> I created a script that using up alot of memory very quickly. All the
> resources like file handles, db results, and objects are being
> freed. I am
> using a third party library so I am wondering if the problem lies
> with their
> code.
> My question is what would I use to make a report showing how much
> memory is
> being allocated by which objects, methods and variables. I remember a
> professor doing something like this with run times in c++ with the gcc
> compiler.
> --
> Joey Marino

the simplest way to see what's happening is probably dike

gem install dike

http://codeforp...lib/ruby/dike/dike-0....

take a snapshot before and after an allocation by the lib the use dike
to do a diff.

regards.

a @ http://codeforp...
--
it is not enough to be compassionate. you must act.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama