ZONEALARM serial

Mervin

3/20/2008 9:48:00 AM

Download ZONEALARM serial

http://serials.00bp.com/ZONEALARMs...
13 Answers

Mouse

Edwin Hurwitz wrote:

> In article
> <6aef2f90-d14d-49dc-adcb-ad545ac211ab@g4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
> James Pablos <james.pablos@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I ask because both liberals and conservatives seem increasingly angry,
>>intractable, irrational, impossible to satisfy. There are times when I
>>listen to the right and say to myself "there's simply no way to deal
>>with those people. They won't stop until blood is shed."
>>
>>And I think the right also looks at the left and says the exact same
>>thing.
>

> Interesting. Do you have any links to bloodthirsty leftists or their
> equivalent of the Oath Takers or Military Shit Kickers or whatever they
> are called?

www.lawyers.com

Edwin Hurwitz

In article <hni5kn$tr1$3@news.eternal-september.org>,
"XXX@XXX.COM" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote:

> Edwin Hurwitz wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <6aef2f90-d14d-49dc-adcb-ad545ac211ab@g4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
> > James Pablos <james.pablos@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>I ask because both liberals and conservatives seem increasingly angry,
> >>intractable, irrational, impossible to satisfy. There are times when I
> >>listen to the right and say to myself "there's simply no way to deal
> >>with those people. They won't stop until blood is shed."
> >>
> >>And I think the right also looks at the left and says the exact same
> >>thing.
> >

> > Interesting. Do you have any links to bloodthirsty leftists or their
> > equivalent of the Oath Takers or Military Shit Kickers or whatever they
> > are called?
>
> www.lawyers.com

Not sure why you posted this link. I don't see anyone there intimating
violence if they think the country is getting too off track. All I see
is a resource to find legal help. If you are implying that the legal
system is what's tearing everything apart, I suppose that's an opinion
that are like every other opinion, but it sure doesn't look bloodthirsty
to me.

Edwin

band beyond description

On 2010-03-15 11:00:03 +0900, James Pablos <james.pablos@gmail.com> said:

> On Mar 13, 5:01??pm, Edwin Hurwitz <ed...@indra.com> wrote:
>
>>> And I think the right also looks at the left and says the exact same
>>> thing.
>>
>> Interesting. Do you have any links to bloodthirsty leftists or their
>> equivalent of the Oath Takers or Military Shit Kickers or whatever they
>> are called?
>
> No, but that doesn't stop them from accusing the left of every
> horrific sin imaginable. Just listen to Glenn Beck.

there were k00ks haranging the airwaves when radio was in its infancy
too, but these days they've been quasi-legitimized by an FCC afraid to
act against hateful whackjobs and their Republican paymasters who play
the "free speech" card.
--
Peace,
Steve

DGDevin

"band beyond description" <everybody's.doin@that.rag.com> wrote in message

> there were k00ks haranging the airwaves when radio was in its infancy too,
> but these days they've been quasi-legitimized by an FCC afraid to act
> against hateful whackjobs and their Republican paymasters who play the
> "free speech" card.
> --
> Peace,
> Steve

Did you know that the Kennedy administration used the FCC to attack radio
broadcasters who were critical of the administration? They used the equal
time rule to drag stations into expensive hearings on the grounds that
opinions expressed by the Limbaughs and Becks of the day demanded equal time
and thus the stations were in violation of FCC rules etc. Johnson and Nixon
also used the FCC to either harass opponents or get free air time for their
own propag..., err, I mean views.

IMO the "free speech" card is quite a convincing one to play, because once
you give the govt. the ability to silence opinions you just never know where
that's going to lead. And yes, threatening the broadcast license of a an
outlet that airs views an administration finds unpleasant sure sounds like
interfering in free speech to me. This qualifies as one of those be careful
what you wish for deals, because if you get it, it just might come back to
bite you.

band beyond description

On 2010-03-16 07:24:25 +0900, "DGDevin" <dgdevin@invalid.invalid> said:

> "band beyond description" <everybody's.doin@that.rag.com> wrote in message
>
>> there were k00ks haranging the airwaves when radio was in its infancy too,
>> but these days they've been quasi-legitimized by an FCC afraid to act
>> against hateful whackjobs and their Republican paymasters who play the
>> "free speech" card.
>> --
>> Peace,
>> Steve
>
> Did you know that the Kennedy administration used the FCC to attack radio
> broadcasters who were critical of the administration? They used the equal
> time rule to drag stations into expensive hearings on the grounds that
> opinions expressed by the Limbaughs and Becks of the day demanded equal time
> and thus the stations were in violation of FCC rules etc. Johnson and Nixon
> also used the FCC to either harass opponents or get free air time for their
> own propag..., err, I mean views.
>
> IMO the "free speech" card is quite a convincing one to play, because once
> you give the govt. the ability to silence opinions you just never know where
> that's going to lead. And yes, threatening the broadcast license of a an
> outlet that airs views an administration finds unpleasant sure sounds like
> interfering in free speech to me. This qualifies as one of those be careful
> what you wish for deals, because if you get it, it just might come back to
> bite you.

I was aware of the Kennedy-Johnson moves to which you refer (and
probably from where Tricky Dick took cues during his presidency to use
government branches against his political opponents (like sicing the
IRS on his enemies), but if you take away the politicizing, and
scrupulously criminalize hate acts and hateful speech like they do in
uber-conscientious places like postwar Germany and other progressive
places like Denmark, society -- notably the stratified U.S. one that
seems to thrive on divisiveness instead of consensus and concern for
the greater good -- might actually see some benefit.
--

> I was aware of the Kennedy-Johnson moves to which you refer (and probably
> from where Tricky Dick took cues during his presidency to use government
> branches against his political opponents (like sicing the IRS on his
> enemies), but if you take away the politicizing, and scrupulously
> criminalize hate acts and hateful speech like they do in
> uber-conscientious places like postwar Germany and other progressive
> places like Denmark, society -- notably the stratified U.S. one that seems
> to thrive on divisiveness instead of consensus and concern for the greater
> good -- might actually see some benefit.
> --
> Peace,
> Steve

And there's the trick, taking away the politicizing, and being scrupulous in
how you administer the law. The Bush administration demonstrated that we
can't expect every administration to be so scrupulous, so why provide them
with even more tools to do their dirty work? Do we really want to live in a
country where a newspaper that prints a letter to the editor that some
people find offensive finds itself hauled in front of a quasi-judicial
tribunal on grounds of promoting hate speech? Awhile back I was reading an
article about some of the hate crimes prosecutions in Canada and was
astonished at some of cases there, to the point where even people involved
in drafting the law have said they never imagined how it would end up being
used.

Besides, we both know this is about the fact that the right is good at
talk-radio and the left isn't. If the situation were reversed I can't
imagine that you would be making this complaint.

DGDevin

"band beyond description" <everybody's.doin@that.rag.com> wrote in message

> but if you take away the politicizing, and scrupulously criminalize hate
> acts and hateful speech like they do in uber-conscientious places like
> postwar Germany and other progressive places like Denmark, society --
> notably the stratified U.S. one that seems to thrive on divisiveness
> instead of consensus and concern for the greater good -- might actually
> see some benefit.
> --
> Peace,
> Steve

"We are not afraid to entrust the American people with
unpleasant facts, foreign ideas, alien philosophies, and
competitive values. For a nation that is afraid to let
its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open
market is a nation that is afraid of its people."

JFK

band beyond description

On 2010-03-16 14:06:17 +0900, "DGDevin" <dgdevin@invalid.invalid> said:

> "band beyond description" <everybody's.doin@that.rag.com> wrote in message
>
>> I was aware of the Kennedy-Johnson moves to which you refer (and probably
>> from where Tricky Dick took cues during his presidency to use government
>> branches against his political opponents (like sicing the IRS on his
>> enemies), but if you take away the politicizing, and scrupulously
>> criminalize hate acts and hateful speech like they do in
>> uber-conscientious places like postwar Germany and other progressive
>> places like Denmark, society -- notably the stratified U.S. one that seems
>> to thrive on divisiveness instead of consensus and concern for the greater
>> good -- might actually see some benefit.
>> --
>> Peace,
>> Steve
>
> And there's the trick, taking away the politicizing, and being scrupulous in
> how you administer the law. The Bush administration demonstrated that we
> can't expect every administration to be so scrupulous, so why provide them
> with even more tools to do their dirty work? Do we really want to live in a
> country where a newspaper that prints a letter to the editor that some
> people find offensive finds itself hauled in front of a quasi-judicial
> tribunal on grounds of promoting hate speech? Awhile back I was reading an
> article about some of the hate crimes prosecutions in Canada and was
> astonished at some of cases there, to the point where even people involved
> in drafting the law have said they never imagined how it would end up being
> used.
>
> Besides, we both know this is about the fact that the right is good at
> talk-radio and the left isn't. If the situation were reversed I can't
> imagine that you would be making this complaint.

are you angling for your own radio show, DGD?

you cited Canada, of which there are no shortage of GWBush-type fellow
travelers in the Conservative government and their right-wing media and
business sympathizers. but there is still a mile-wide difference
between the basic identifying pillars of tolerance as exemplified by
Canada and its relevant laws on the anti-hate issue, and the
laissez-faire hands-off approach employed by the U.S. against its
native-born crackpots.

as well, no such issues commonly arise in the Germany/Denmark examples
I cite, as in those places, as well as transposing our discussion to
the wider EU, the law is clear, and things that deserve to be
prosecuted are and those that aren't, aren't (generally speaking).
--

> are you angling for your own radio show, DGD?

Well I must be, because clearly standing up for free speech even when it's
offensive to some (inlcuding when it's offensive to me) is the same thing as
wanting to be just like Beck and Limbaugh and Hannity.

> you cited Canada, of which there are no shortage of GWBush-type fellow
> travelers in the Conservative government and their right-wing media and
> business sympathizers.

Good grief, the average Canadian conservative is about as right-wing as
Walter Mondale in a hockey jersey.

> but there is still a mile-wide difference between the basic identifying
> pillars of tolerance as exemplified by Canada and its relevant laws on the
> anti-hate issue, and the laissez-faire hands-off approach employed by the
> U.S. against its native-born crackpots.

"Tolerance" huh? But not tolerance for speech which someone in some
minority group decides he doesn't like it. And if in the end the finding of
human rights tribunals that punish people for unpopular speech are often
overturned by the courts--but only after years of expensive litigation--well
do you suppose the threat of prosecution for something the courts will
*eventually* dismiss might have the proverbial dampening effect on speech?
Ah, but I forget, free speech should only apply to opinions we agree with,
so who cares if people with views we dislike are silenced, it's not like
that could ever happen to *us*.

band beyond description

On 2010-03-17 00:58:55 +0900, "DGDevin" <dgdevin@invalid.invalid> said:

> "band beyond description" <everybody's.doin@that.rag.com> wrote in message
>
>> are you angling for your own radio show, DGD?
>
> Well I must be, because clearly standing up for free speech even when it's
> offensive to some (inlcuding when it's offensive to me) is the same thing as
> wanting to be just like Beck and Limbaugh and Hannity.

well, if we in the U.S. are to rely on the fox (no pun intended),
meaning the Congress, to guard the henhouse of the vulnerable citizenry
by legislating proper anti-hate laws on a par with the likes of
Germany, Denmark and Canada, then of course the U.S. reality dictates
that nothing on that count will ever see the light of day, and status
quo -- by definition the favored course for conservatives -- will
reign. but if you're proud of that outcome, there's nothing to do but
shrug.

>> you cited Canada, of which there are no shortage of GWBush-type fellow
>> travelers in the Conservative government and their right-wing media and
>> business sympathizers.
>
> Good grief, the average Canadian conservative is about as right-wing as
> Walter Mondale in a hockey jersey.

I bet I've come across more Canadians where I am in the space of a few
years than I you ever have, and those who give thought to such issues
will tell you that Canadians sometimes get a bit smug watching the
racial and other problems in the U.S. and forget that they have
ignorant, knuckle-dragging, racist??shitbirds of their own, coupled with
Murdoch-like Cro-magnon media entities like the National Post
newspaper. But generally there is an overriding Canadian national
interest in holding themselves to a higher standard and distinguishing
themselves from their southern neighbor on these universal,
beyond-rhetoric human rights-type issues.

>> but there is still a mile-wide difference between the basic identifying
>> pillars of tolerance as exemplified by Canada and its relevant laws on the
>> anti-hate issue, and the laissez-faire hands-off approach employed by the
>> U.S. against its native-born crackpots.
>
> "Tolerance" huh? But not tolerance for speech which someone in some
> minority group decides he doesn't like it. And if in the end the finding of
> human rights tribunals that punish people for unpopular speech are often
> overturned by the courts--but only after years of expensive litigation--well
> do you suppose the threat of prosecution for something the courts will
> *eventually* dismiss might have the proverbial dampening effect on speech?
> Ah, but I forget, free speech should only apply to opinions we agree with,
> so who cares if people with views we dislike are silenced, it's not like
> that could ever happen to *us*.

so *you* say. because I never said any of that. I am and have been
speaking not of (U.S.?) hypotheticals as you are, but of an objective,
universally defined body of rational, compassionate anti-hate/racism
law that proscribes hateful actions as well as communications. so, can
you please tell me what is wrong with such laws that have been
promulgated in Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Canada and elsewhere?

I guess that in your exceptionalist world view, we can never expect
hate to be properly legislated against (in the U.S.), then?
--
Peace,
Steve