shootout results for ruby 1.9.0

Paolo Bonzini

3/19/2008 9:08:00 AM

I compare with GNU Smalltalk since the results should be more or less
on par (both stack VMs, etc.):

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4sandbox/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=gst&...
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4sandbox/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=gst&...

My congratulations to the Ruby 1.9.0 team!
2 Answers

poisoned rose

The Nice Mean Man <hitherandyon@aol.com> wrote:

> LOL is right..... It's your ?music? and it's BORING, ONE-DIMENSIONAL,
> UNINSPIRED, UN-ORIGINAL, CHEAP and on top of everything else,
> completely UN-HIP. These bands and the lost souls in them offer
> nothing new. And I?ve heard them ALL?most of them attempting to bust a
> nut like their precious Nirvana. Bands like Breaking Benjamin, 3 Days
> Grace, Strapping Young Lad, Smile Unto Soul, Atreyu, Bullet For My
> Valentine, Slipknot, American Head Charge, Mudvayne.... I?ve heard it
> all.

You haven't heard shit. Basically, you've heard a small range of
similar-sounding rawk stuff which you hoped might fulfill your narrow,
macho-meathead, guitar-dood perspective on music.

Guess what? I think most of those bands suck too. But the difference is
that I know where to look to find the ones who DON'T suck.

> You don??t understand the Godhead admiration surrounding the Beatles.
> You don??t get the glory or respect surrounding Jimi Hendrix. I??ve seen
> your attitudes posted on those subjects already. That would tend to
> explain why you like the utter SHIT that you do. Utter shit, man.
> Utter and complete defecati..

You don't even know what I like. You don't know the names of the
artists, and you certainly haven't heard them.

> Where are your generation's Bass Guitar heroes? Lead Guitar heroes?
> Keyboard heroes? Drum Heroes? Come on, wise guy... Let's DEBATE.

It's a pointless debate to me, because I'd dispute your fundamental
assumption that the quality of music entirely depends on how much
"celebrity chops" the band features.

You "chops" types are always so narrow and oblivious...totally unable to
shift gears out of that mode. Such a bore.

> Well, I'm SURE that all of today's "artists" won't fall into every
> category. But the ones that I hear on MY radio and TV do!

Your complaint was about bands you see on talk shows. And I proved your
point was flat wrong.

> It is everywhere. You cannot deny it. You might not LIKE it, but
> that's the way it is. Angry fucking NOISE for angry powerless people.

You don't know anything...stop pretending you do.

If anything, WIMPY is in nowadays. So many of today's buzz bands are led
by non-masculine, collegiate types with vulnerable personalities. The
Postal Service, Vampire Weekend, Death Cab for Cutie, Owl City, Phoenix,
Bright Eyes, Grizzly Bear, the Decemberists, A.C. Newman, Of Montreal, Iron & Wine, Bon Iver, etc.

Your stereotyping is years out of date.

> But Jeremy DID 'speak' today, didn't he...? Huhh.. Gotta rethink that
> one.

Look how even your references are 20 years out of date. I'd offer you the same advice I've offered Raja in the past: Leave Usenet for five years, do nothing but catch up on contemporary music during that time, and then come back. Then maybe you can convince a few people that you know what you're talking about.

poisoned rose

The Nice Mean Man <hitherandyon@aol.com> wrote:

You repeat yourself so much that you don't make any arguments which I
haven't already shot down. Pointless to go through the dance again.

Oh, and I'm sure you like pre-'60s music more than I do. The difference
is that I'll just say that most of it doesn't turn me on. Rather than
making myself look like a flaming idiot with screaming, meathead
proclamations about it's worthless to the entire world, etc. etc.

PS You really didn't need to point out that you can't process any music
which isn't based on blues roots. I figured that out long ago.