Re: Thread#raise, Thread#kill, and timeout.rb are unsafe

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: Thread#raise, Thread#kill, and timeout.rb are unsafe"
on Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:02:24 +0900, Tanaka Akira <akr@fsij.org> writes:

|> This did have a few weird side-effects though. For example, running a
|> complex regex would shutoff signal handling for the duration. That
|> meant you could no longer timeout a regex.
|
|Ruby already defer signal handling same as Perl.

1.8 regexp does check interrupts during match, 1.9 doesn't check (yet).

matz.

20 Answers

graham

"Dirge" <contrapunctus@operamail.com> wrote in message
On Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:56:43 AM UTC-6, Randy Lane wrote:
> Just saw this on JPC:
>
> http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Neville-Marriner-Academy-of-St-Martin-in-the-Fields-The-Argo-Years/hn...
>
> Haven't had time to peruse the contents thoroughly.
>
> What do RMCRers think are the gems/must-haves from that era? Any
> never-before-on-cd stuff here, or never-been-on-cd from the era that are
> on wish-for lists?

Be sure to check out the detailed content of the set at the Decca Web site,
as some of the recordings aren't the recordings that one would expect:
http://www.deccaclassics.com/us/c...

Examples: the Handel Op. 6 is not the complete set from the late '60s; it's
a one-off 1962 recording of Concerto No. 6 from an album of early recordings
(which I haven't heard). The Tippett Fantasia concertante is not from the
early '70s all-Tippett album; it's from an early '80s <<The English
Connection>> album released on ASV.

That said, my favorites from this set are as follows (with undisputed
favorites of a particular work having an asterisk):

*Barber: Adagio for Strings
Bizet: Symphonie C-Dur
*Copland: Quiet City
Prokofieff: Symphonie Nr. 1 "Klassische"
Strawinsky: Pulcinella-Suite
Vivaldi: The Four Seasons

My favorite Marriner/ASMF/Argo recordings not included in the set are the
aforementioned complete Handel Concerti grossi, Op. 6, and the *Tippett
Fantasia concertante.

My #1 rule of thumb regarding Marriner/ASMF/Argo recordings is that if it
prominently features first-violinist Alan Loveday, I'm going to like it. As
good as his playing in Vivaldi's The Four Seasons is, it's his playing in
Tippett's Fantasia concertante (as leader of the concertino of himself,
Caine, and Heath) that I would cite as my Alan Loveday highlight of
highlights; the performance overall is actually a bit slower and more
Romantic than my ideal, sounding a bit more like a triple concerto than a
concerto grosso than I'd prefer, but the Loveday-led concertino carries the
day. The later ASV account is excellent in its own right, being a notch or
two swifter, tauter, and less Romantic than its predecessor, but the
concertino of Brown, Sillito & Vigay, excellent as it certainly is, doesn't
have the magic of the earlier concertino; still, this is my second-favorite
recording of the work and one that's easy to recommend.
However, I think the Mendelssohn octet is spoiled by Vigay's muddy cello
sound at the start of the last movement. It was the same when I heard them
live.
Graham

Bob Harper

On 2/13/14, 11:24 AM, Dirge wrote:

> Vivaldi: The Four Seasons
>
> My favorite Marriner/ASMF/Argo recordings not included in the set are
> the aforementioned complete Handel Concerti grossi, Op. 6, and the
> *Tippett Fantasia concertante.
>
> My #1 rule of thumb regarding Marriner/ASMF/Argo recordings is that
> if it prominently features first-violinist Alan Loveday, I'm going to
> like it. As good as his playing in Vivaldi's The Four Seasons is,
> it's his playing in Tippett's Fantasia concertante (as leader of the
> concertino of himself, Caine, and Heath) that I would cite as my Alan
> Loveday highlight of highlights; the performance overall is actually
> a bit slower and more Romantic than my ideal, sounding a bit more
> like a triple concerto than a concerto grosso than I'd prefer, but
> the Loveday-led concertino carries the day. The later ASV account is
> excellent in its own right, being a notch or two swifter, tauter, and
> less Romantic than its predecessor, but the concertino of Brown,
> Sillito& Vigay, excellent as it certainly is, doesn't have the magic
> of the earlier concertino; still, this is my second-favorite
> recording of the work and one that's easy to recommend.
>
> Some favorite movements/moments from the Academy as a whole would
> include the third movement of the "Spring" concerto from The Four
> Seasons, which right from the git-go features some of the most
> luminous and shimmering string playing I know; the Musette from
> Concerto grosso No. 6, Op. 6 (from the complete set), which ideally
> balances elegance, characterization, and stateliness; the whole of
> Quiet City for generating and maintaining the elusive atmosphere and
> ticklish balance of elements that eludes every other account; and the
> whole of the Adagio for Strings for its unflagging focus and
> concentration in controlling tension while craftily and dramatically
> building to an intense climax, which makes the post-climax all the
> more effective.

Excellent comments all. How could I have forgotten to include the
Loveday Four Seasons? Still my favorite after all these years.

Bob Harper

JR

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:19:09 PM UTC-6, Alan Cooper wrote:
> Dirge <contrapunctus@operamail.com> wrote in

> <snip>
>

> > My favorite Marriner/ASMF/Argo recordings not included in the set are
>
> > the aforementioned complete Handel Concerti grossi, Op. 6, and the
>
> > *Tippett Fantasia concertante.
>

> The Tippett Fantasia is listed on the JPC site as included. Did you mean
>
> the Concerto for Double String Orchestra (not listed)? Both are available
>
> in what is probably the best single-disc introduction to Tippett's
>
> orchestral works: http://www.buywell.com/cgi-bin/buywellic2/...
>
> mv_arg=07425
>

> AC

No. The Fantasia concertante recording included in the 28-disc set is not the classic 1970 Argo recording with Loveday/Caine/Heath, but the early '80s ASV recording with Brown/Sillito/Vigay.

Alan Cooper

> On Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:19:09 PM UTC-6, Alan Cooper wrote:
>> Dirge <contrapunctus@operamail.com> wrote in

>> <snip>
>>

>> > My favorite Marriner/ASMF/Argo recordings not included in the set
>> > are
>>
>> > the aforementioned complete Handel Concerti grossi, Op. 6, and the
>>
>> > *Tippett Fantasia concertante.
>>

>> The Tippett Fantasia is listed on the JPC site as included. Did you
>> mean
>>
>> the Concerto for Double String Orchestra (not listed)? Both are
>> available
>>
>> in what is probably the best single-disc introduction to Tippett's
>>
>> orchestral works:
>> http://www.buywell.com/cgi-bin/buywellic2/...
>>
>> mv_arg=07425
>>

>> AC
>
> No. The Fantasia concertante recording included in the 28-disc set is
> not the classic 1970 Argo recording with Loveday/Caine/Heath, but the
> early '80s ASV recording with Brown/Sillito/Vigay.

Thanks for the clarification. Odd to stick an ASV recording in a
collection allegedly devoted to the Argos.

AC

JR

>> The Fantasia concertante recording included in the 28-disc set is not the
>> classic 1970 Argo recording with Loveday/Caine/Heath, but the early '80s ASV
>> recording with Brown/Sillito/Vigay.

> Thanks for the clarification. Odd to stick an ASV recording in a
> collection allegedly devoted to the Argos.
>
> AC

Discs 25 (Weber symphonies), 26 (The French Connection) & 27 (The English Connection) appear to be straight ASV reissues; the rest are Argo or Decca so far as I can tell. This seemed strange to me until I did a little (very little) research and found the following:

«ASV Records is a London-based record label set up by Harley Usill, founder of Argo Records, Decca producer and former Argo General Manager, Kevin Daly, and producer Jack Boyce, after Argo's parent company Decca was bought by PolyGram in 1980. ASV stands for "Academy Sound and Vision".»

Also, ASV was bought in 1999 by Santuary, and Sanctuary was bought in 2007 by Universal, which was the result of a 1999 merger between PolyGram and Seagram.

That's all straight from Wikipedia, so it must be true.

So ASV is more or less the spiritual continuation/successor of Argo, and Universal owns the recordings of both -- the world makes sense again.

JR, who's guessing that the "Academy" in Academy Sound and Vision is the very same "Academy" in Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields ...

Alan Cooper

>>> The Fantasia concertante recording included in the 28-disc set is
>>> not th
>>> classic 1970 Argo recording with Loveday/Caine/Heath, but the early
>>> '80s
> ASV
>>> recording with Brown/Sillito/Vigay.
>
>> Thanks for the clarification. Odd to stick an ASV recording in a
>> collection allegedly devoted to the Argos.
>>
>> AC
>
> Discs 25 (Weber symphonies), 26 (The French Connection) & 27 (The
> English Connection) appear to be straight ASV reissues; the rest are
> Argo or Decca so far as I can tell. This seemed strange to me until I
> did a little (very little) research and found the following:
>
> ?ASV Records is a London-based record label set up by Harley Usill,
> founder of Argo Records, Decca producer and former Argo General
> Manager, Kevin Daly, and producer Jack Boyce, after Argo's parent
> company Decca was bought by PolyGram in 1980. ASV stands for "Academy
> Sound and Vision".?
>
> Also, ASV was bought in 1999 by Santuary, and Sanctuary was bought in
> 2007 by Universal, which was the result of a 1999 merger between
> PolyGram and Seagram.
>
> That's all straight from Wikipedia, so it must be true.
>
> So ASV is more or less the spiritual continuation/successor of Argo,
> and Universal owns the recordings of both -- the world makes sense
> again.
>
> JR, who's guessing that the "Academy" in Academy Sound and Vision is
> the very same "Academy" in Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields ...

Thanks for this interesting post, JR. In the words of the great Keith
Hernandez, "The more you know, the less you don't know." Well anyway,
there's one less thing that I don't know :-)

The good news is that the 1970 Tippett recording is easily obtainable on
Australian Eloquence.

AC

Steve de Mena

On 2/14/14, 3:20 AM, Alan Cooper wrote:
> Dirge <contrapunctus@operamail.com> wrote in
>
>> On Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:19:09 PM UTC-6, Alan Cooper wrote:
>>> Dirge <contrapunctus@operamail.com> wrote in

>>> <snip>

>>> The Tippett Fantasia is listed on the JPC site as included. Did you
>>> mean
>>>
>>> the Concerto for Double String Orchestra (not listed)? Both are
>>> available
>>>
>>> in what is probably the best single-disc introduction to Tippett's
>>>
>>> orchestral works:
>>> http://www.buywell.com/cgi-bin/buywellic2/...
>>>
>>> mv_arg=07425
>>>

>>> AC
>>
>> No. The Fantasia concertante recording included in the 28-disc set is
>> not the classic 1970 Argo recording with Loveday/Caine/Heath, but the
>> early '80s ASV recording with Brown/Sillito/Vigay.
>
> Thanks for the clarification. Odd to stick an ASV recording in a
> collection allegedly devoted to the Argos.
>
> AC

Seems to be a few ASV recordings - the Weber Symphonies, the Ravel
Tombeau, Ibert Divertissement, Debussy: Danse sacree et danse profane.

Steve

Steve de Mena

On 2/13/14, 12:29 PM, graham wrote:

> Be sure to check out the detailed content of the set at the Decca Web site,
> as some of the recordings aren't the recordings that one would expect:
> http://www.deccaclassics.com/us/c...
>
> Examples: the Handel Op. 6 is not the complete set from the late '60s; it's
> a one-off 1962 recording of Concerto No. 6 from an album of early recordings
> (which I haven't heard). The Tippett Fantasia concertante is not from the
> early '70s all-Tippett album; it's from an early '80s <<The English
> Connection>> album released on ASV.

There's some L'Oiseau Lyre recordings in there too. Ones that could
have easily been left out for something more substantial, like the
Britten Variations on a Theme by Frank Bridge or the all-Tippett Argo LP.

Steve

td

Does nobody on RMCR know anything about contemporary music royalties?

Evidently not.

Tippett would require extra payment for copyrighted music, thus reducing profits.

End of story.

TD

Steve de Mena

On 2/17/14, 5:32 AM, td wrote:
> Does nobody on RMCR know anything about contemporary music royalties?
>
> Evidently not.
>
> Tippett would require extra payment for copyrighted music, thus reducing profits.
>
> End of story.
>
> TD

I think the question was why the performance of the Corelli Fantasia
from the earlier all-Tippett Argo LP wasn't used instead of the latter
ASV CD.

About a year ago Decca released a box set of Marriner and the Academy
performing "20th Century Classics".

http://bit....

Strangely, no Tippett in this 10 CD box set, but we get some lovely
20th century music from Georges Bizet, Edvard Grieg and Richard Wagner.

Steve