Rake Task: passing params and return values

Harp Oon

3/16/2008 5:21:00 AM

1. Is there a way to pass params to a rake task and have it return
values?

2. I have seen the ENV var being used to pass in the args to rake. Is it
thread safe? Are there any unintended consequences if two controllers
execute a new task?

3. Is it advisable to invoke a rake task (from a controller) to update
the DB?

Harp Oon

Harp Oon wrote:
> 1. Is there a way to pass params to a rake task and have it return
> values?
>
> 2. I have seen the ENV var being used to pass in the args to rake. Is it
> thread safe? Are there any unintended consequences if two controllers
> execute a new task?
>
> 3. Is it advisable to invoke a rake task (from a controller) to update
> the DB?

My tasks.rake file has:

task :my_script => :environment do
puts "ID: = #{args.user_id}"
end

and I invoke it using:

load "#{RAILS_ROOT}/Rakefile"
def update_user
Rake::Task["my_script"].invoke
end

Using the code above, how would I pass in arguments to the script?

Julian Leviston

Why use rake to update the database? You're better off using the
controller to update the database, with a model or two - that is,
after all, what the model was designed for.

Julian.