What is Ruby's biggest strength ?

Tuan Minh

3/14/2008 1:45:00 AM

I'm learning Ruby an Rails.
But I can't answer this question
"What is Ruby&Rails 's strength and
What helps Ruby stronger than other programming languages ?"

Who can helps me! Thanks

Chinna Karuppan

I think it is enumerables and thier block syntax...it is so easy...I am
also a nuby...learning ruby

Tuan Minh wrote:
> I'm learning Ruby an Rails.
> But I can't answer this question
> "What is Ruby&Rails 's strength and
> What helps Ruby stronger than other programming languages ?"
>
> Who can helps me! Thanks

ara.t.howard

On Mar 13, 2008, at 7:45 PM, Tuan Minh wrote:

> I'm learning Ruby an Rails.
> But I can't answer this question
> "What is Ruby&Rails 's strength and
> What helps Ruby stronger than other programming languages ?"
>
> Who can helps me! Thanks

the abstraction facilities, metaprogramming, using blocks to emulate
syntax, open classes, etc., coupled with with a concise syntax enables
the programmer to build systems within the language that match more
closely that other languages the way we think. solving complex
problems requires the burden understanding to language and libraries
to be low enough to allow the mental bandwidth to solve the *real*
problem - ruby excels in this area.

kind regards.

a @ http://draw...
--
sleep is the best meditation.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Phlip

Ruby's biggest strength is Matz took all the "best of breed" features from
other highly dynamic languages, and then assembled them in the right order.
Block closures are very important, but some languages added these late, and
got stuck with klutzy syntax. Ruby makes block closures a latent feature of
every method. You just write 'yield', without even changing your call
syntax.

Each time Matz made a language decision, he made it in favor of the
programmer. Where some languages require extra syntax to overload operators,
Ruby requires the obvious line: def [](index)

All these language shortcuts are not just syntactic sugar. They allow you to
endlessly squeeze, parse down, refactor, and delete code. The less code the
better. So Ruby leads to extremely "lean" programs that get the maximum work
done with the minimum lines, statements, and operations. This, in turn, is
incredibly efficient. It does without the waste and excess work that other
languages require. You can do the same amount of work in Ruby as you would
do in Java just setting up modules, classes, abstract interfaces, and
configuration files, _before_ you actually got down to the behavioral code.

--
Phlip
http://assert2.ruby...

Phlip

> the abstraction facilities, metaprogramming, using blocks to emulate
> syntax, open classes, etc.,

You forgot "20 different ways to spontaneously generate a clean DSL"! (-:

> h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Oh yeah!

Phlip

> You can do the same amount of work in Ruby as you would do in Java just
> setting up modules, classes, abstract interfaces, and configuration files,
> _before_ you actually got down to the behavioral code.

Take two:

You can do more work in Ruby than the same number of lines, in Java, spent
just to set up all your modules, classes, abstract interfaces, static-typing
adapters, and configuration files - even before you got around to the
behavioral code!

> --
> Phlip
> http://assert2.ruby...

sean_n

On Mar 13, 3:45 pm, Tuan Minh <tanthuyhoan...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm learning Ruby an Rails.
> But I can't answer this question
> "What is Ruby&Rails 's strength and
>  What helps Ruby stronger than other programming languages ?"
>
> Who can helps me! Thanks

I've glanced at the ruby source code, it's very clean and obviously
well designed and orderly. No run on functions--everything is small
and compact. Why is this important? I have confidence that ruby can
be maintained and expanded w/o too many things breaking.

James Britt

Tuan Minh wrote:
> I'm learning Ruby an Rails.
> But I can't answer this question
> "What is Ruby&Rails 's strength and
> What helps Ruby stronger than other programming languages ?"

How much research into various programming languages and Web tools did
you do before deciding on Ruby on Rails?

Seems you should first see if there is a satisfactory answer to your
question before deciding what to pursue.

--
James Britt

www.rubyaz.org - Hacking in the Desert
www.risingtidesoftware.com - Wicked Cool Coding

Avdi Grimm

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Tuan Minh <tanthuyhoang85@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm learning Ruby an Rails.
> But I can't answer this question
> "What is Ruby&Rails 's strength and
> What helps Ruby stronger than other programming languages ?"

Three things:
1. Fear
2. Surprise.
3. Ruthless efficiency
4. A fanatical devotion to the pope

No, FOUR things!

--
Avdi

Rodrigo Bermejo

>> "What is Ruby&Rails 's strength and
>> What helps Ruby stronger than other programming languages ?"
Ruby is fun.

Scott Preston

I have been looking at a new language to learn for some time. I was looking
at either Groovy, Python or Ruby. These 2 things that stood out for me:

1) The community is really active and forward thinking. For example: our own
Columbus Ruby Brigade has a bunch of cool oaks and they think like I do.
2) Syntax is easy and looks nice in an editor.

A few things keep me from being a complete convert: I still like my PHP for
web programming, something about weak-dynamic typing on the web that appeals
to me. While the library support is growing, I still need a lot of Java for
my robotics & vision processing, and while I could use JRuby, Groovy seems a
better fit.