requiring rubygems

Tim

3/6/2008 7:39:00 PM

I'm using the MySQL rubygem. In a code example in the book I'm
reading it has:

require 'rubygems'
require 'mysql'

in order to access the mysql functionality. However I tried it
without requiring rubygems and it still works. When do you have to
require rubygems when using a gem? What does requiring rubygems
actually accomplish?

Thanks,

Tim
4 Answers

Tim Hunter

Tim wrote:
> I'm using the MySQL rubygem. In a code example in the book I'm
> reading it has:
>
> require 'rubygems'
> require 'mysql'
>
> in order to access the mysql functionality. However I tried it
> without requiring rubygems and it still works. When do you have to
> require rubygems when using a gem? What does requiring rubygems
> actually accomplish?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim

http://docs.rubygems.org/r...

Thomas Wieczorek

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Tim <TimWelsh5@gmail.com> wrote:
> When do you have to
> require rubygems when using a gem? What does requiring rubygems
> actually accomplish?

You don't need to require rubygems, if you defined the enviroment
variable RUBYOPT=-rubygem. RUBYOPT is not set on Windows if you
install Ruby with a normal user account.

Arlen Cuss

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Thomas Wieczorek <wieczo.yo@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> You don't need to require rubygems, if you defined the enviroment
> variable RUBYOPT=-rubygem. RUBYOPT is not set on Windows if you
> install Ruby with a normal user account.

Or, if it was installed by your system's packaging system directly.
e.g. installing libmysql-ruby on Debian-based systems.

Arlen

Mick Dhangton

On Sunday, June 1, 2014 10:43:30 AM UTC-4, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> Dry ingredients:
>
> 4 c (1 lb.) flaxmeal
>
> 1 c Vital Wheat Gluten flour
>
> 1 T salt
>
> 1/2 c Splenda
>

> Wet ingredients
>
> 4 eggs, beaten
>
> 1/s c warm water
>
> 1 T sugar
>
> 1 T yeast
>
> 1 additional c warm water
>

> Mix dry ingredients together with a large spoon.
>
> Beat eggs. Dissolve yeast and sugar in water, put somewhere to
>
> rise for about 10 minutes.

Water can't rise. I think you are proofing the yeast.