?ISO-8859-1?Q? from IMAP server

Maria Almar

3/6/2008 4:55:00 PM

Hi all,

I have an encoding problem when a want to examine my mails from an IMAP server.
Strings with "special characters" are returned with the
"?ISO-8859-1?Q?" prefix and special characters are messed up ("é"
becomes "=E9")

Do I have to call IMAP with special parameters ?
Or can I convert this string afterward ?

# Login to the Imap server
imap = Net::IMAP.new('imap.gmail.com', 993, true)
imap.login(name, password)
# Examine the INBOX box
imap.examine("INBOX")
# Fetch a single message
msg = imap.uid_fetch([123], ['ENVELOPE'])[0]
puts msg.attr["ENVELOPE"].subject

=> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Invitation_to_join_XXX_from_Nicolas_F=E9tiou?=

I'm on Leopard, and tried with "irb" and "irb --noreadline"

Regards

Maria

2 Answers

Adam H. Kerman

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.com> wrote:
>On Monday, February 24, 2014 9:13:13 AM UTC-8, Rhino wrote:

>>I don't know which shows WILL spring back to life - that kind of
>>prognosticating is not within my powers - but I can think of some shows
>>that I'd like to see come back. In no particular order:

>>- Homicide: Life on the Streets

>A lot of people only fondly remember early H:LOTS, while forgetting what
>a putrid mess it became towards the end of its run. (See also: Buffy.)

>H:LOTS was actually only good in seasons 1-5 (more specifically, many
>will say just seasons 1-3...).

It wasn't that bad in later seasons, but no, it wasn't as good. They rather
ruined Andre Braugher's character, and by the time the actor left the show,
we didn't miss him.

Ian J. Ball

In article <leg96c$n45$2@news.albasani.net>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.com> wrote:
> >On Monday, February 24, 2014 9:13:13 AM UTC-8, Rhino wrote:
>
> >>I don't know which shows WILL spring back to life - that kind of
> >>prognosticating is not within my powers - but I can think of some shows
> >>that I'd like to see come back. In no particular order:
>
> >>- Homicide: Life on the Streets
>
> >A lot of people only fondly remember early H:LOTS, while forgetting what
> >a putrid mess it became towards the end of its run. (See also: Buffy.)
>
> >H:LOTS was actually only good in seasons 1-5 (more specifically, many
> >will say just seasons 1-3...).
>
> It wasn't that bad in later seasons, but no, it wasn't as good.

Dead wrong - go back and watch seasons 6-7: they were absolutely
*awful*.

--
"Surf-crazed aliens... Of course." - Amber, "Alien Surf Girls",
Episode #1.1, "Wipeout".