JRuby && Swing || SWT?

Phillip Gawlowski

3/4/2008 7:52:00 PM

Hello, list.

I'm looking for advice on GUI toolkits for cross-platform development /
deployment, especially in the context of JRuby[0].

Now, that having worked with JRuby yet, I'd like to know how your
experiences are with using JRuby in larger non-Rails projects,
especially when developing GUI applications.

What are your experiences in that regard? How does that influence
deployment across different operating systems (I'm mostly concerned
about Mac OS X deployment. The currently used GUI toolkit (GTK2) is,
from what I have gathered not trivially available on Macs, and I'd
prefer to distribute the application I'm working on[1] in one neat
package for everybody, especially Mac OS X end-users.

So, the long and short of it?
Have you developed Ruby applications using JRuby with Swing[2]? With
SWT[3]? Both?
What's your experience when using these toolkits?
How easy (or painful) is deployment to the Mac?

In an ideal world, we'd distribute RSRCG as an all-in-one installer,
with no external dependencies. How easy is that to achieve using Java?

Regards,
Phillip

Footnotes:
[0] http://jruby.cod...
[1] http://rubyforge.org/proje...
[2] http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/gui...
[3] http://www.eclips...

3 Answers

Shawn Anderson

I have used jruby to build a medium sized swing app. I found it very easy to
write and deploy. You can wrap it up into a single jar file and wrap that
in a .app file for mac os x. For everyone else, you can simply give them
the executable jar.

/Shawn

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Phillip Gawlowski <
cmdjackryan@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hello, list.
>
> I'm looking for advice on GUI toolkits for cross-platform development /
> deployment, especially in the context of JRuby[0].
>
> Now, that having worked with JRuby yet, I'd like to know how your
> experiences are with using JRuby in larger non-Rails projects,
> especially when developing GUI applications.
>
> What are your experiences in that regard? How does that influence
> deployment across different operating systems (I'm mostly concerned
> about Mac OS X deployment. The currently used GUI toolkit (GTK2) is,
> from what I have gathered not trivially available on Macs, and I'd
> prefer to distribute the application I'm working on[1] in one neat
> package for everybody, especially Mac OS X end-users.
>
> So, the long and short of it?
> Have you developed Ruby applications using JRuby with Swing[2]? With
> SWT[3]? Both?
> What's your experience when using these toolkits?
> How easy (or painful) is deployment to the Mac?
>
> In an ideal world, we'd distribute RSRCG as an all-in-one installer,
> with no external dependencies. How easy is that to achieve using Java?
>
> Regards,
> Phillip
>
> Footnotes:
> [0] http://jruby.cod...
> [1] http://rubyforge.org/proje...
> [2] http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/gui...
> [3] http://www.eclips...

James Britt

Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
> Hello, list.
>
> I'm looking for advice on GUI toolkits for cross-platform development /
> deployment, especially in the context of JRuby[0].
>
> Now, that having worked with JRuby yet, I'd like to know how your
> experiences are with using JRuby in larger non-Rails projects,
> especially when developing GUI applications.

Please take a look at Monkeybars.

http://monkeybars.ruby...

While it is still under development and pre-1.0, I do not think there is
a better library to help you build sophisticated cross-platform Swing
apps with JRuby.

I'm working on a fairly complex desktop app now, and with Monkeybars I
am nearly oblivious that there is Java or Swing lurking underneath.

--
James Britt

http://www.... - Hacking in the Desert
http://www.jame... - Playing with Better Toys

Phillip Gawlowski

James Britt wrote:

> Please take a look at Monkeybars.
>
> http://monkeybars.ruby...

I already found at, and I'm looking at.
> While it is still under development and pre-1.0, I do not think there
> is a better library to help you build sophisticated cross-platform
> Swing apps with JRuby.
>
> I'm working on a fairly complex desktop app now, and with Monkeybars I
> am nearly oblivious that there is Java or Swing lurking underneath.

Yeah, it looks like it will do the job.

Thanks. :)

- Phillip Gawlowski