[ANN] nobody knows shoes, in pdf and html

_why

3/2/2008 7:19:00 AM

Many hellos. Just a small footnote to add to this vast catalogue of
e-mail. The futile zine Nobody Knows Shoes is today released into
the public domain, as promised.

PDF and HTML versions of the book are here:

http://hackety....

Shoes is a tiny toolkit for coding windowing apps in Ruby. We are a
tiny community, which is generally disregarded and rightfully so.
No one likes windowing apps and no one likes small, portable, and
pretty fast libraries. In fact, I think I have just talked myself
out of my own software project.

Well, phooey.

_why

9 Answers

botp

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 3:18 PM, _why <why@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Shoes is a tiny toolkit for coding windowing apps in Ruby. We are a
> tiny community, which is generally disregarded and rightfully so.
> No one likes windowing apps and no one likes small, portable, and
> pretty fast libraries. In fact, I think I have just talked myself
> out of my own software project.

been watching shoes and ruby1.9
shoes+ruby1.9/2.0 would be a killer dev app, imho

now gui programming is fun again :)
thanks for shoes why.

kind regards -botp

Mikkel Bruun

_why wrote:
> Many hellos. Just a small footnote to add to this vast catalogue of
> e-mail. The futile zine Nobody Knows Shoes is today released into
> the public domain, as promised.
>
> PDF and HTML versions of the book are here:
>
> http://hackety....
>
> Shoes is a tiny toolkit for coding windowing apps in Ruby. We are a
> tiny community, which is generally disregarded and rightfully so.
> No one likes windowing apps and no one likes small, portable, and
> pretty fast libraries. In fact, I think I have just talked myself
> out of my own software project.
>
> Well, phooey.
>
> _why

you sir, are nuts ;-)

Love your work...

Mikkel

Tim Pease

On Mar 2, 2008, at 1:26 PM, Mikkel Bruun wrote:

> _why wrote:
>> Many hellos. Just a small footnote to add to this vast catalogue of
>> e-mail. The futile zine Nobody Knows Shoes is today released into
>> the public domain, as promised.
>>
>> PDF and HTML versions of the book are here:
>>
>> http://hackety....
>>
>> Shoes is a tiny toolkit for coding windowing apps in Ruby. We are a
>> tiny community, which is generally disregarded and rightfully so.
>> No one likes windowing apps and no one likes small, portable, and
>> pretty fast libraries. In fact, I think I have just talked myself
>> out of my own software project.
>>
>> Well, phooey.
>>
>> _why
>
> you sir, are nuts ;-)

_why is not nuts.

He has achieved such a heightened sense of clarity that he has come
out the other side and appears to be nuts. This is merely sanity taken
to its extreme.

TwP

_why

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 12:52:18AM +0900, botp wrote:
> been watching shoes and ruby1.9
> shoes+ruby1.9/2.0 would be a killer dev app, imho

Oh, thankyou. I'm totally eager for such a day as well. The
changes are not severe at all, so it shouldn't be too distant.

_why

Patrick Aljord

Thanks for the book _why. Is there a place where I could download
hackety hack source? it doesn't work on ubuntu hardy. I see on
http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/ha... that a version was
planed for the end of 2007, any news about this?

Thanks in advance,

Pat

_why

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 11:18:46AM +0900, Patrick Aljord wrote:
> Thanks for the book _why. Is there a place where I could download
> hackety hack source? it doesn't work on ubuntu hardy. I see on
> http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/ha... that a version was
> planed for the end of 2007, any news about this?

Sure, well, I've been rewriting H-ety H using Shoes and have been
keeping my work in a private git repo. I just have some work to do
getting Shoes to work smoother on OS X and I hope HH will be out
soon thereafter. I tried the old HH with a group of 11-12 yr old
kids and had bad results, so have had to change quite a few things.

I know it's been eight or nine months since a release, which borders
on vaporous. Very sorry about the lateness.

_why

Siep Korteling

_why wrote:
> Many hellos. Just a small footnote to add to this vast catalogue of
> e-mail. The futile zine Nobody Knows Shoes is today released into
> the public domain, as promised.
>
> PDF and HTML versions of the book are here:
>
> http://hackety....

(...)

I just read it and it promises to be great fun. And very goodlooking.

Thanks,

Siep

Shin guey Wong

_why wrote:

> _why

How do I install gem on shoes? Currently I just install gem on my
current ruby and then copy the folder into the shoes folder and it
works. But how do I use the gem command with shoes and install gem on
it?

Computer Manic

Shin guey Wong wrote:
> _why wrote:
>>
>> _why
>
> How do I install gem on shoes? Currently I just install gem on my
> current ruby and then copy the folder into the shoes folder and it
> works. But how do I use the gem command with shoes and install gem on
> it?

you can install it like this
<code>
Shoes.setup do
gem 'hpricot'
end
</code>

to know your GEM dir use the irb example found into samples folder
'expert-irb.rb'
then
<code>
require 'rubygems'
GIM_DIR
</code>

and you should know the location of the installed gem in case you are
lost =)

Thank you very much _why .. keep the golden code style