From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter@googlemail.com>
To: ruby-talk ML <ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 7:43:45 AM
Subject: Re: Question about split method

2008/2/25, Glenn <glenn_ritz@yahoo.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if there is a method for the String class that splits a string on some characters and keeps the split characters in the elements of the resulting array?
>
> The split method returns an array in this example:
>
> p "This is a sentence. This is a sentence! This is a sentence?".strip.split(/\.|\?|\!/)
>

> ["This is a sentence", " This is a sentence", " This is a sentence"]
>
> The three sentences in the above string have very different meanings, but loose those meanings without the punctuation, so I'd like to keep the punctuation. I'd like a method that keeps the split characters, and returns this array:
>
> ["This is a sentence.", " This is a sentence!", " This is a sentence?"]
>
> Does such an array exist? If not, would it be possible to modify the split method to produce that result?
>
> I'm running Ruby 1.8.6 on Windows.

Hm, you could do it with lookbehind on 1.9. On 1.8 you only have
lookforward which gives you this:

irb(main):002:0> "a. b.".split /(?=\.\s+)/

Not quite what you wanted. :-)

But here's an alternative approach which works with 1.8:

irb(main):005:0> "a. b. c! d? e.".scan /.*?[.!?](?:\s|$)/

Kind regards

robert