Ruby 1.8.4 and Ruby 1.8.6

Bala

2/28/2008 9:12:00 AM

Hi Experts,

I was wondering, if we could use previous version if we installed
1.8.6?

i know this is stupid. :) any suggestions?

regards,
Bala
3 Answers

Eric Hodel

On Feb 28, 2008, at 01:14 AM, Bala wrote:

> Hi Experts,
>
> I was wondering, if we could use previous version if we installed
> 1.8.6?
>
> i know this is stupid. :) any suggestions?

[unpack a ruby 1.8.6 tarball and cd into it]
/configure --prefix=/path/to/ruby186
make && make install
/path/to/ruby186/bin/ruby -v

Bala

On Feb 28, 2:20 pm, Eric Hodel <drbr...@segment7.net> wrote:
> On Feb 28, 2008, at 01:14 AM, Bala wrote:
>
> > Hi Experts,
>
> > I was wondering, if we could use previous version if we installed
> > 1.8.6?
>
> > i know this is stupid. :) any suggestions?
>
> [unpack a ruby 1.8.6 tarball and cd into it]
> /configure --prefix=/path/to/ruby186
> make && make install
> /path/to/ruby186/bin/ruby -v

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply, but i'm on windows

Thanks,
Bala

Michal Suchanek

On 28/02/2008, Bala <mbbala@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 28, 2:20 pm, Eric Hodel <drbr...@segment7.net> wrote:
> > On Feb 28, 2008, at 01:14 AM, Bala wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Experts,
> >
> > > I was wondering, if we could use previous version if we installed
> > > 1.8.6?
> >
> > > i know this is stupid. :) any suggestions?
> >
> > [unpack a ruby 1.8.6 tarball and cd into it]
> > /configure --prefix=/path/to/ruby186
> > make && make install
> > /path/to/ruby186/bin/ruby -v
>

> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks for the reply, but i'm on windows
>
> Thanks,

I beleive the one click installer allows installing in different locations.

However, you would have to modify your path when you want to use a
different ruby or not set your path at all and run it by full name.

I suspect there might be problems if you set your path to point to one
version of ruby and run another one as windows use path to look up
shared libraries.

Thanks

Michal