rake task with arguments

Reacher

2/25/2008 8:39:00 PM

I found an example (http://www.betweentherails...) of passing
arguments to a rake task in the new (0.8.n) version of rake. From this
example, I created the following test:

namespace :foo do
desc 'lol'
task :bar, :num do |t, args|
puts "num = #{args.num}"

I took a look at the task list:

$ rake --tasks
(in /path/to/my/dir)
rake foo:bar[num] # lol

All looks well ... until I try to run it:

$ rake foo:bar[123]
rake: No match

Hmm .. let's try without the argument:

$ rake foo:bar
(in /path/to/my/dir)
num =

o.O
7 Answers

Reacher

On Feb 25, 2:39 pm, Reacher <brandon.g.jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I found an example (http://www.betweentherails...) of passing
> arguments to a rake task in the new (0.8.n) version of rake. From this
> example, I created the following test:
>
> namespace :foo do
>   desc 'lol'
>   task :bar, :num do |t, args|
>     puts "num = #{args.num}"
>   end
> end
>
> I took a look at the task list:
>
> $ rake --tasks
> (in /path/to/my/dir)
> rake foo:bar[num]  # lol
>
> All looks well ... until I try to run it:
>
> $ rake foo:bar[123]
> rake: No match
>
> Hmm ..  let's try without the argument:
>
> $ rake foo:bar
> (in /path/to/my/dir)
> num =
>
> o.O

I figured it out

$ rake foo:bar\[123\]
(in /path/to/my/dir)
num = 123

BTW, csh is evil

Jos Backus

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 05:39:57AM +0900, Reacher wrote:
> All looks well ... until I try to run it:
>
> $ rake foo:bar[123]
> rake: No match

Try this instead:

$ rake 'foo:bar[123]'

The shell is interpreting the []'s as globbing metacharacters. You have to
quote them so the shell passes them to ruby as-is.

--
Jos Backus
jos at catnook.com

Joel VanderWerf

Jos Backus wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 05:39:57AM +0900, Reacher wrote:
>> All looks well ... until I try to run it:
>>
>> $ rake foo:bar[123]
>> rake: No match
>
> Try this instead:
>
> $ rake 'foo:bar[123]'

Yuck.

FWIW, you can also embed arguments in the task name, which makes the
command line cleaner. This is yucky in its own special way.

$ cat rakefile
foo_task_pat = /^foo(\w+)$/

make_foo_dep_name =
proc do |taskname|
"foo/#{taskname[foo_task_pat, 1]}"
end

rule foo_task_pat => make_foo_dep_name do |t|
puts "handling rule for #{t.name.inspect}"
end

directory "foo"

file "foo/bar" => "foo" do
system "touch foo/bar"
end
$ rm -rf foo
$ rake foobar
(in /home/vjoel/ruby/misc/rake/args)
handling rule for "foobar"
$ ls foo
bar

Jos Backus

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 06:07:38AM +0900, Joel VanderWerf wrote:
> Jos Backus wrote:
>> $ rake 'foo:bar[123]'
>
> Yuck.

Hey, using []'s in rake wasn't my idea...

--
Jos Backus
jos at catnook.com

Phlip

Jos Backus wrote:

> Hey, using []'s in rake wasn't my idea...

Bash:

$ echo ()

The () parens are bashoidal delimiters. Other shells probably obey some standard
there, too. I don't know what they do, but I always escape them with \(\), and
my experiment invoked the dreaded subsidiary command prompt, >.

$ echo []

That doesnt' have this problem!

--
Phlip

Rob Biedenharn

On Feb 25, 2008, at 3:44 PM, Reacher wrote:

> I figured it out
>
> $ rake foo:bar\[123\]
> (in /path/to/my/dir)
> num = 123
>
> BTW, csh is evil

Of course csh is evil! That's nothing new.
http://ooblick.com/text/CshProgrammingConsideredHa...

This works just fine with bash:

rab://tmp $ cat Rakefile
namespace :foo do
desc 'lol'
task :bar, :num do |t, args|
puts "num = #{args.num}"
rab://tmp $ rake foo:bar[123]
(in /private/tmp)
num = 123

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsult...
Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

Reacher

On Feb 25, 3:44 pm, Rob Biedenharn <R...@AgileConsultingLLC.com>
wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2008, at 3:44 PM, Reacher wrote:
>
> > I figured it out
>
> > $ rake foo:bar\[123\]
> > (in /path/to/my/dir)
> > num = 123
>
> > BTW, csh is evil
>
> Of course csh is evil!  That's nothing new.http://ooblick.com/text/CshProgrammingConsideredHa...
>
> This works just fine with bash:
>
> rab://tmp $ cat Rakefile
> namespace :foo do
>    desc 'lol'
>    task :bar, :num do |t, args|
>      puts "num = #{args.num}"
>    end
> end
> rab://tmp $ rake foo:bar[123]
> (in /private/tmp)
> num = 123
>
> -Rob
>
> Rob Biedenharn          http://agileconsult...
> R...@AgileConsultingLLC.com

When I got my first real job programming, I had no experience with
*NIX .. at all. The shell we worked in was tcsh. Currently, everyone
in our office uses ksh, but I've been slow to conform, since I'm used
to tcsh and it's few but handy niceties. I think the results of this
thread may be the poke needed to move to bash.