[ANN] Web archive for ruby newsgroup

Ward Bekker

2/25/2008 7:10:00 PM

Just live:

Ruby Newsgroup Archive : A simple & searchable web-archive for
comp.lang.ruby. (build with Ruby on Rails). Find only anwers because we
do not show messages without a reply. ;-)

ruby.equanimity.nl

Regards,

Ward

6 Answers

Ward Bekker

And now with clickable link ;-)

http://ruby.equ...

On 2008-02-25 20:10:04 +0100, Ward Bekker <ward@NOequanimitySPAM.nl> said:

> Just live:
>
> Ruby Newsgroup Archive : A simple & searchable web-archive for
> comp.lang.ruby. (build with Ruby on Rails). Find only anwers because we
> do not show messages without a reply. ;-)
>
> ruby.equanimity.nl
>
> Regards,
>
> Ward

Eric Hodel

On Feb 25, 2008, at 11:14 AM, Ward Bekker wrote:

> Just live:
>
> Ruby Newsgroup Archive : A simple & searchable web-archive for
> comp.lang.ruby. (build with Ruby on Rails). Find only anwers because
> we do not show messages without a reply. ;-)
>
> ruby.equanimity.nl

How is it better than:

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/ruby/ruby-talk/i...

Search seems broken, I get 0 hits for my name, but nearly 4000 results
on the official archive.

Aria Stewart

> Search seems broken, I get 0 hits for my name, but nearly 4000
> results on the official archive.

Ditto.

Ward Bekker

The name of the poster is not indexed currently. Only message body &
subject are. I believe it's not really needed. I'm pondering if I
should make a top x of posters page, but for now it's more important to
get a bigger set of past usenet messages.

Regards,

Ward

On 2008-02-25 20:42:22 +0100, Aria Stewart <aredridel@nbtsc.org> said:

>> Search seems broken, I get 0 hits for my name, but nearly 4000
>> results on the official archive.
>>

> Ditto.

John Wilger

On Feb 25, 11:10 am, Ward Bekker <w...@NOequanimitySPAM.nl> wrote:
> Ruby Newsgroup Archive : A simple & searchable web-archive for
> comp.lang.ruby. (build with Ruby on Rails). Find only anwers because we
> do not show messages without a reply. ;-)
>
> ruby.equanimity.nl

I'm guessing it hasn't indexed many messages yet? I get only two hits
for the word "duck". ;-)

At any rate, I can see how something like this could potentially
evolve into something useful, although I agree with Eric Hodel that
you've got some work in front of you to make it better (for some
purposes) than either blade or the Google Groups interface.

--
Regards,

John Wilger

Rob Sanheim

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 10:24 AM, John Wilger <johnwilger@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm guessing it hasn't indexed many messages yet? I get only two hits
> for the word "duck". ;-)
>
> At any rate, I can see how something like this could potentially
> evolve into something useful, although I agree with Eric Hodel that
> you've got some work in front of you to make it better (for some
> purposes) than either blade or the Google Groups interface.
>
> --

Or Nabble, or gmane, or any of the countless other tools that already
do this quite nicely.

- Rob

http://robs...