Connecting to HyperTerminal

Active View

2/18/2008 5:27:00 PM

Hi all...

I am doing a project using Ruby. It is a SMS to Email sort of thing.
Hence, I need to know if it is possible to connect to Hyperterminal
using Ruby. If it is, how?

I have already completed most of the stuff using scripting on
Hyperterminal. So, suggestions not to use Hyperterminal may not be a
good one.

Will appreciate if anyone here can help.

Thank you.

Martin DeMello

On Feb 18, 2008 9:27 AM, Active View <active.view@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> I am doing a project using Ruby. It is a SMS to Email sort of thing.
> Hence, I need to know if it is possible to connect to Hyperterminal
> using Ruby. If it is, how?

Does hyperterminal export a COM interface? Ruby can automate that
fairly effortlessly.

martin

Ben Bleything

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008, Active View wrote:
> I have already completed most of the stuff using scripting on
> Hyperterminal. So, suggestions not to use Hyperterminal may not be a
> good one.

You can talk directly to a serial port using Ruby... I understand that
you've already written scripts for HT, but is there any compelling
technical reason for using those? I think you'll have less pain porting
your scripts to Ruby than trying to interact with HT.

Ben

Jano Svitok

On Feb 18, 2008 8:21 PM, Ben Bleything <ben@bleything.net> wrote:
> You can talk directly to a serial port using Ruby... I understand that
> you've already written scripts for HT, but is there any compelling
> technical reason for using those? I think you'll have less pain porting
> your scripts to Ruby than trying to interact with HT.

Can you recommend good (working) free serial comm lib for ruby that
works on windows?
Last time I checked I could find only commercial ones.

Thanks.

And to not totally hijack this thread: I agree that rewriting could be
better that working with HT.
However, if OP wants to go this way and *everything else fails*,
AutoIt might be the way - there's a dll
that you can call from ruby (the cons are: too much work, too many
layers/wrappers).

Todd Benson

On Feb 18, 2008 1:32 PM, Jano Svitok <jan.svitok@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2008 8:21 PM, Ben Bleything <ben@bleything.net> wrote:
> > You can talk directly to a serial port using Ruby... I understand that
> > you've already written scripts for HT, but is there any compelling
> > technical reason for using those? I think you'll have less pain porting
> > your scripts to Ruby than trying to interact with HT.
>
> Can you recommend good (working) free serial comm lib for ruby that
> works on windows?
> Last time I checked I could find only commercial ones.
>
> Thanks.

I've used ruby-serialport with success talking to a GPS...

http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-s...

Todd

Ben Bleything

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008, Jano Svitok wrote:
> Can you recommend good (working) free serial comm lib for ruby that
> works on windows?
> Last time I checked I could find only commercial ones.

ruby-serialport works in Windows as far as I know. They list it as a
feature at any rate! :D

http://ruby-serialport.ruby...

> And to not totally hijack this thread: I agree that rewriting could be
> better that working with HT.
> However, if OP wants to go this way and *everything else fails*,
> AutoIt might be the way - there's a dll
> that you can call from ruby (the cons are: too much work, too many
> layers/wrappers).

ooo interesting. I'm basically completely ignorant of the Windows world
these days... I only use it when I'm programming microcontrollers with
the serial port :) As it happens, Hyperterminal is about the only app I
use.

Ben

Active View

Hey people...

Thank you real lots for the replies... I am figuring out on how to use
the ruby-serial... Tried compiling it using Cygwin... But it seems to
have problem with the make file. Makefile:106 target pattern contains no
'%'. Stop. Any idea what causes this problem?? I am seriously new to
this. So if I am asking some not-so-intelligent questions, my apologies.

Thank you once again.

Ben Bleything

I don't know much about cygwin. Have you tried with the Ruby one-click
installer?

Ben

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008, Active View wrote:
> Hey people...
>
> Thank you real lots for the replies... I am figuring out on how to use
> the ruby-serial... Tried compiling it using Cygwin... But it seems to
> have problem with the make file. Makefile:106 target pattern contains no
> '%'. Stop. Any idea what causes this problem?? I am seriously new to
> this. So if I am asking some not-so-intelligent questions, my apologies.
>
> Thank you once again.

Active View

Ben Bleything wrote:
> I don't know much about cygwin. Have you tried with the Ruby one-click
> installer?
>
> Ben

Is there for MS? Hmm... I can't seem to find it... =[

Thank you.

Ben Bleything

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008, Active View wrote:
> Is there for MS? Hmm... I can't seem to find it... =[

Did you try google?

http://www.google.com/search?q=ruby+one-click...

first hit.

:)

Active View

Ben Bleything wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008, Active View wrote:
>> Is there for MS? Hmm... I can't seem to find it... =[
>
> Did you try google?
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=ruby+one-click...
>
> first hit.
>
> :)

Hmm... Thanks... I thought that was an overall installer for Ruby?? Or
was it an installation file with all the libraries in?

Thank you.