Ruby Gems & FireWalls

Jayson Williams

2/12/2008 4:42:00 AM

I had an awful time today trying to install the HighLine gem on my
machine at home. After several attempts, I tried disabling my firewall
on a whim, and presto, the gem installed successfully. I don't recall
having this problem with other gems in the past, so I am wondering if
my trouble had to do with where the HighLine gem resides? Is there a
specific port that gem installs communicate on? How should I setup my
firewall to allow gem installs?

Thanks
Jay

1 Answer

Eric Hodel

On Feb 11, 2008, at 20:41 PM, Jayson Williams wrote:

> I had an awful time today trying to install the HighLine gem on my
> machine at home. After several attempts, I tried disabling my firewall
> on a whim, and presto, the gem installed successfully. I don't recall
> having this problem with other gems in the past, so I am wondering if
> my trouble had to do with where the HighLine gem resides? Is there a
> specific port that gem installs communicate on? How should I setup my
> firewall to allow gem installs?

RubyGems uses port 80.