comp.lang.lisp

Lisp Variant suitable for resource constrained devices

Piyush Katariya

2/21/2016 2:31:00 PM

Hello Lisper's,

I have done little bit of Clojure.
I wanted to build some GUI (games) or non GUI applications on small, resources constrained devices like Raspberry PI which will involve fairly good computational tasks.
I came to know that using JVM and Clojure may not be suitable.
I am looking for a lisp variant with following characteristics

1. Good ARM and non ARM device support
2. Near C performance or at least managable
3. Runtime with tiny memory overhead
4. Not so expensive in built garbage collector
5. Good binding support for calling C lib functions
6. Multithreading / Reactor pattern lib
7. Nice to have TDD or any testing lib/framework.
8. Relatively good community support

Is it too much to ask for ? If there is no silver bullet, can anybody suggest some combination different tools / libs / framework to achieve the same ?

--
Thanks,
Piyush Katariya

5 Answers

Dimitri Fontaine

Piyush Katariya <corporate.piyush@gmail.com> writes:
> 1. Good ARM and non ARM device support
> 2. Near C performance or at least managable
> 3. Runtime with tiny memory overhead
> 4. Not so expensive in built garbage collector
> 5. Good binding support for calling C lib functions

That would point me towards using CCL:

http://ccl.c...

> 6. Multithreading / Reactor pattern lib

I don't know what you expect with â??reactorâ? patterns, I use lparallel
for multithreading and some tastes of Erlang facilities there:

http://lpa...

> 7. Nice to have TDD or any testing lib/framework.

Plenty of CL libs for that, see 5am for example:

https://common-lisp.net/proje...

> 8. Relatively good community support

You have it here and on #lisp on freenode's IRC.
--
dim

Piyush Katariya

Thanks Dimitri

Piyush Katariya

Is there any scheme implementation which supports this features ?

Christian Jullien

Hi Piyush,

For 1 to 5 you have OpenLisp an ISO ISLISP standard
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wik...) which is really fast on RPi and runs on many other systems.

Christian

Günther Thomsen

On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 6:31:26 AM UTC-8, Piyush Katariya wrote:
> Hello Lisper's,
>
> I have done little bit of Clojure.
> I wanted to build some GUI (games) or non GUI applications on small, resources constrained devices like Raspberry PI which will involve fairly good computational tasks.
> I came to know that using JVM and Clojure may not be suitable.

Out of curiosity, can you elaborate on that please? The oldest, smallest Raspberry Pi (the original version 'A') had 256MiB of RAM, I believe; the current model 2 version 'B' has 1GiB. That should be enough for everyone.