Gruff and SVG

Damaris Fuentes

2/9/2008 11:29:00 PM

Hi you all,

I'm newbie in this graphic stuff. I've seen you can create an SVG image
(with, for example, Scruffy) and transform it to jpg or png (with
Gruff).
However, I've seen the images are better-looking in Gruff (in my
opinion), so my question is, can I transform a jpg image from Gruff to a
SVG image?

Thanks.

Phlip

Damaris Fuentes wrote:

> I'm newbie in this graphic stuff. I've seen you can create an SVG image
> (with, for example, Scruffy) and transform it to jpg or png (with
> Gruff).
> However, I've seen the images are better-looking in Gruff (in my
> opinion), so my question is, can I transform a jpg image from Gruff to a
> SVG image?

You need to ask that the other way around. SVG is a vector format and JPG is
raster. A chart naturally starts life as a vector definition, and a JPG
(better a PNG) is actually a downgraded version of the vectors. So try to
get a chart program to go directly from its internal chart model into SVG,
and pour that into a browser.

I don't know about Gruff's internals, but GNUplot might.

(Also, Gruff might get good press, but you'll need GNUplot as soon as you
need nice things like log scales, wireframes, etc...)

--
Phlip