ssleay32.dll, postgresql, extension problem

Daniel Berger

2/9/2008 10:12:00 PM

Hi all,

The PostgreSQL 8.3 release ships with its own ssleay32.dll. However,
when building with VC++ 6 using the one-click installer, I need to use
the ssleay32.dll that Curt ships under c:/ruby/bin.

I've been toying with $LDFLAGS and $LIBPATH but I can't make it work. I
always get a "The ordinal 284 could not be located in the dynamic link
library SSLEAY32.DLL".

What mkmf incantation must I perform to make it work?

Regards,

Dan

6 Answers

James Tucker

I've been fighting this problem on Vista with EventMachine, although
not directly with postgresql.

I have yet to find a solution, although I suspect it will be necessary
in some cases to build everything with the same stack.

On 9 Feb 2008, at 22:11, Daniel Berger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The PostgreSQL 8.3 release ships with its own ssleay32.dll. However,
> when building with VC++ 6 using the one-click installer, I need to
> use the ssleay32.dll that Curt ships under c:/ruby/bin.
>
> I've been toying with $LDFLAGS and $LIBPATH but I can't make it
> work. I always get a "The ordinal 284 could not be located in the
> dynamic link library SSLEAY32.DLL".
>
> What mkmf incantation must I perform to make it work?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

Nobuyoshi Nakada

At Sun, 10 Feb 2008 07:11:55 +0900,
Daniel Berger wrote in [ruby-talk:290550]:
> The PostgreSQL 8.3 release ships with its own ssleay32.dll. However,
> when building with VC++ 6 using the one-click installer, I need to use
> the ssleay32.dll that Curt ships under c:/ruby/bin.
>
> I've been toying with $LDFLAGS and $LIBPATH but I can't make it work. I
> always get a "The ordinal 284 could not be located in the dynamic link
> library SSLEAY32.DLL".

Maybe, INCLUDE and LIB environment variables are set for
PostgreSQL?

--
Nobu Nakada

James Tucker

If rubygems is already loaded then aren't the symbols for openssl
already present in memory before any postgresql extension is loaded?

On 10 Feb 2008, at 03:53, Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At Sun, 10 Feb 2008 07:11:55 +0900,
> Daniel Berger wrote in [ruby-talk:290550]:
>> The PostgreSQL 8.3 release ships with its own ssleay32.dll. However,
>> when building with VC++ 6 using the one-click installer, I need to
>> use
>> the ssleay32.dll that Curt ships under c:/ruby/bin.
>>
>> I've been toying with $LDFLAGS and $LIBPATH but I can't make it
>> work. I
>> always get a "The ordinal 284 could not be located in the dynamic
>> link
>> library SSLEAY32.DLL".
>
> Maybe, INCLUDE and LIB environment variables are set for
> PostgreSQL?
>
> --
> Nobu Nakada

Daniel Berger

On Feb 9, 8:53 pm, Nobuyoshi Nakada <n...@ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At Sun, 10 Feb 2008 07:11:55 +0900,
> Daniel Berger wrote in [ruby-talk:290550]:
>
> > The PostgreSQL 8.3 release ships with its own ssleay32.dll. However,
> > when building with VC++ 6 using the one-click installer, I need to use
> > the ssleay32.dll that Curt ships under c:/ruby/bin.
>
> > I've been toying with $LDFLAGS and $LIBPATH but I can't make it work. I
> > always get a "The ordinal 284 could not be located in the dynamic link
> > library SSLEAY32.DLL".
>
> Maybe, INCLUDE and LIB environment variables are set for
> PostgreSQL?

Explicitly setting ENV in the extconf.rb script didn't seem to help.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Dan

Daniel Berger

Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At Sun, 10 Feb 2008 07:11:55 +0900,
> Daniel Berger wrote in [ruby-talk:290550]:
>> The PostgreSQL 8.3 release ships with its own ssleay32.dll. However,
>> when building with VC++ 6 using the one-click installer, I need to use
>> the ssleay32.dll that Curt ships under c:/ruby/bin.
>>
>> I've been toying with $LDFLAGS and $LIBPATH but I can't make it work. I
>> always get a "The ordinal 284 could not be located in the dynamic link
>> library SSLEAY32.DLL".
>
> Maybe, INCLUDE and LIB environment variables are set for
> PostgreSQL?

I tried setting both LIB and LIBDIR to C:\ruby\bin, both in the shell
itself and via ENV, but it didn't work.

Have you been able to build and load ruby-pg against PostgreSQL 8.3 with
the one click installer? If so, how did you do it?

Regards,

Dan

Sethupathi Asokan

Daniel Berger wrote:
> Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
>>> library SSLEAY32.DLL".
>>
>> Maybe, INCLUDE and LIB environment variables are set for
>> PostgreSQL?
>
> I tried setting both LIB and LIBDIR to C:\ruby\bin, both in the shell
> itself and via ENV, but it didn't work.
>
> Have you been able to build and load ruby-pg against PostgreSQL 8.3 with
> the one click installer? If so, how did you do it?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

I have done a work-around by renaming the libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll
in {RUBY_PATH}/bin directory and copy these to dll files from
{POSTGRES_PATH}/bin directory and paste it under {RUBY_PATH}/bin.

It worked for me.