Re: Ruby Excels not

Paul Danese

2/6/2008 12:45:00 PM

Your code works fine for me on irb on win xp.

Can you actually open a 'genuine' xls file on your machine to see if
ms-excel/office is working properly? I've had problems before where
win32ole wouldn't work b/c the ms-office software license had not yet
been activated (don't remember what the specific error was, tho).

-----Original Message-----
From: Casimir [mailto:pikEISPAMMMseli@welho.com]=20
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 7:05 AM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Ruby Excels not

Ok so I wanna play with some spreadsheets. Lets see. Lets copypaste from

the pickaxe.

> require 'win32ole'
>=20
>=20
> # Creates OLE object to Excel
> excel =3D WIN32OLE.new("excel.application")
>
> #and so on...

Ruby replies:
myExcelApp.rb:9:in `initialize': unknown OLE server: `Excel.Application'

(WIN32OLERuntimeError)
HRESULT error code:0x800401f3
Invalid class string from myExcelApp.rb:9:in `new'
from rudumapponator.rb:9

Ie. no joy. Something wrong with the Win32Ole library?

=0AThis email and any attached files are confidential and intended solel=
y for the intended recipient(s). If you are not the named recipient you=
should not read, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opi=
nions expressed in this email are those of the author and do not represe=
nt those of the company. Warning: Although precautions have been taken=
to make sure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot=
accept responsibility for any loss or damage that arise from the use=
of this email or attachments.

1 Answer

Casimir

Ah! *slap forehead* So I need a excel license installed on the machine??

That would explain the problem. Silly me! I guess I will need to turn to
Open Office...