Subject: Re: Learn how to program

Jörg Hagmann

2/4/2008 10:31:00 AM

I use ruby for simple tasks and because I find it fascinating. Ruby is
the only computer language I "know".

In my experience, a combination of at least 2 books is essential. Often,
I understand something only when I get a look at it from a different angle.

The combination I recommend is:

The pickaxe book ("Programming Ruby", Fowler) and
"Ruby by example" (K.C. Baird).

In addition, I have "The Ruby Way" (H. Fulton) and "Ruby Cookbook"
(Carlson & Richardson). They are also useful.

Cheers, Jörg

Thanks for the answers. I decided by Ruby.

What is the best book Ruby for someone who does not have experience in
programming?

Learn To Program
Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby
Humble Little Ruby Book