Comparing Active Record VS Datamapper...?

Softmind Technology

2/2/2008 5:54:00 AM

Hello,

Comparing Active Record VS DataMapper...?

Can any one provide more details on this..

Any Links of Blogs comparing the above two.

I shall also welcome your suggestions on this.

Thanks

Ilan Berci

Softmind Technology wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Comparing Active Record VS DataMapper...?
>
> Can any one provide more details on this..
>
> Any Links of Blogs comparing the above two.
>
> I shall also welcome your suggestions on this.
>
> Thanks

I was curious about this myself, I have used AR for years now and I was
interested in DM's promise of no migrations and optional lazy loading of
fields. I have no problem expressing my fields in the models (I
actually like it) and I have no problem being committed to MySQL. If DM
can update your schema automagically when seeing an
incompatibility/update with your model then I won't sleep for a week due
to the magic of it all.

I used to think that migrations were the best thing since sliced bread
but due to the fact that AR attempts to cater to every major vendor, I
usually have to go in a hand tune my migrations anyways (bigint and
foreign key constraints which I realize many feel are unnecessary when
working with RoR). I also used to follow OG as well but after some
playing around, i came to the conclusion that updating the schema with
it was far more difficult than it was with AR.

Merb right now is a big carrot for me and it has direct support (through
gem dloads) for haml AND DataMapper so I think something truly great (or
at least very exciting) is in the mix! Due to the fact that I am a
coward however, I still use AR at work as I am very comfortable with it
and I finally got used to a lot of it's black magic through
method_missing craziness.

Merb/DataMapper is a cinch to dload and set up so you should see it for
yourself..
ilan

The Peeler

On Thu, 6 Jun 2013 23:33:40 +0200, The Peeler
<finishingoff@themoronicRevd.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Jun 2013 04:36:48 -0700, The Rectum, the resident psychopath of
>sci and scj, FAKING his time zone again and IMPERSONATING his master, The
>Peeler, wrote:
>

>>> For someone to hate a group, he needs to see the group as a monolithic
>>> entity, meaning that it would have similar attitudes, values and ways of
>>> life.
>>>
>>> With Jews, there is no monolithic entity. There are all sorts of people
>>> who are Jews, and many of them are in strong disagreement with one
>>> another.
>>
>> But they're still jews innit. They all share, the same genetic
>> character defects! <GB>
>
>What'a a "genetic character defect", The Rectum?

WE aks the questions Grik anus!

> Quote any scienctific books
>on it, or is it another invention of my abnormal psychotic "mind"? <BG>

ALL the, questions Grik anus! <GB>