[ANN] ZenTest 3.9.1 Released

Ryan Davis

2/1/2008 3:29:00 AM

ZenTest version 3.9.1 has been released!

* <http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/Ze...
* <http://rubyforge.org/projects/ze...
* <ryand-ruby@zenspider.com>

ZenTest provides 4 different tools and 1 library: zentest, unit_diff,
autotest, multiruby, and Test::Rails.

ZenTest scans your target and unit-test code and writes your missing
code based on simple naming rules, enabling XP at a much quicker
pace. ZenTest only works with Ruby and Test::Unit.

unit_diff is a command-line filter to diff expected results from
actual results and allow you to quickly see exactly what is wrong.

autotest is a continous testing facility meant to be used during
development. As soon as you save a file, autotest will run the
corresponding dependent tests.

multiruby runs anything you want on multiple versions of ruby. Great
for compatibility checking!

Test::Rails helps you build industrial-strength Rails code.

Changes:

### 3.9.1 / 2008-01-31

* 1 bug fix:

* OMG I'm so dumb... fixed memory leak.

* <http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/Ze...
* <http://rubyforge.org/projects/ze...
* <ryand-ruby@zenspider.com>

4 Answers

Rob Sanheim

Out of curiosity, what was the source of the leak?

On Jan 31, 2008 10:28 PM, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby@zenspider.com> wrote:

> ZenTest version 3.9.1 has been released!
>
> * <http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/Ze...
> * <http://rubyforge.org/projects/ze...
> * <ryand-ruby@zenspider.com>
>
> ZenTest provides 4 different tools and 1 library: zentest, unit_diff,
> autotest, multiruby, and Test::Rails.
>
> ZenTest scans your target and unit-test code and writes your missing
> code based on simple naming rules, enabling XP at a much quicker
> pace. ZenTest only works with Ruby and Test::Unit.
>
> unit_diff is a command-line filter to diff expected results from
> actual results and allow you to quickly see exactly what is wrong.
>
> autotest is a continous testing facility meant to be used during
> development. As soon as you save a file, autotest will run the
> corresponding dependent tests.
>
> multiruby runs anything you want on multiple versions of ruby. Great
> for compatibility checking!
>
> Test::Rails helps you build industrial-strength Rails code.
>
> Changes:
>
> ### 3.9.1 / 2008-01-31
>
> * 1 bug fix:
>
> * OMG I'm so dumb... fixed memory leak.
>
> * <http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/Ze...
> * <http://rubyforge.org/projects/ze...
> * <ryand-ruby@zenspider.com>

James Herdman

Many thanks for the quick update. I really enjoy the ZenTest suite.

James H.

On Jan 31, 2008 10:28 PM, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby@zenspider.com> wrote:

> ZenTest version 3.9.1 has been released!
>
> * <http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/Ze...
> * <http://rubyforge.org/projects/ze...
> * <ryand-ruby@zenspider.com>
>
> ZenTest provides 4 different tools and 1 library: zentest, unit_diff,
> autotest, multiruby, and Test::Rails.
>
> ZenTest scans your target and unit-test code and writes your missing
> code based on simple naming rules, enabling XP at a much quicker
> pace. ZenTest only works with Ruby and Test::Unit.
>
> unit_diff is a command-line filter to diff expected results from
> actual results and allow you to quickly see exactly what is wrong.
>
> autotest is a continous testing facility meant to be used during
> development. As soon as you save a file, autotest will run the
> corresponding dependent tests.
>
> multiruby runs anything you want on multiple versions of ruby. Great
> for compatibility checking!
>
> Test::Rails helps you build industrial-strength Rails code.
>
> Changes:
>
> ### 3.9.1 / 2008-01-31
>
> * 1 bug fix:
>
> * OMG I'm so dumb... fixed memory leak.
>
> * <http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/Ze...
> * <http://rubyforge.org/projects/ze...
> * <ryand-ruby@zenspider.com>

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Ryan Davis wrote:
> * 1 bug fix:
>
> * OMG I'm so dumb... fixed memory leak.
>
> * <http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/Ze...
> * <http://rubyforge.org/projects/ze...
> * <ryand-ruby@zenspider.com>

At least on Linux (and probably MacOS, but I don't have one handy) one
could, in fact, write a Spec/Assertion/whatever that tracked process
size and its growth and delivered a red light if a threshold in size or
growth rate was exceeded. I know there's a way to do it on Windows, too,
I just don't remember what it is.

Something like

process.resident_size should_be < 128 :megabytes

Ryan Davis

On Jan 31, 2008, at 22:49 , Rob Sanheim wrote:

> Out of curiosity, what was the source of the leak?

stupidity.