how do you install a local gem?

7stud --

I downloaded the file:

wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem.tar

How do I install that? When I try to untar it with this command:

tar -xvf /Users/me/Desktop/wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem.tar

I get the error:

data.tar.gz
tar: Read 3501 bytes from
/Users/autie/Desktop/wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem.tar
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive

And even if I did untar it, I don't know how to install it. I install a
remote gem like this:

$ gem install -r wxruby

If it is a local file, do I just cd to the directory the file is in and
type:

$ gem install wxruby

???

Stefano Crocco

Alle Thursday 31 January 2008, 7stud -- ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the file:
>
> wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem.tar
>
> How do I install that? When I try to untar it with this command:
>
> tar -xvf /Users/me/Desktop/wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem.tar
>
> I get the error:
>
> data.tar.gz
> tar: Read 3501 bytes from
> /Users/autie/Desktop/wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem.tar
> tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
> tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
>
> And even if I did untar it, I don't know how to install it. I install a
> remote gem like this:
>
> $ gem install -r wxruby
>
> If it is a local file, do I just cd to the directory the file is in and
> type:
>
> $ gem install wxruby
>
> ???

In linux, you simply do:

gem install gem_file.gem

What I find strange is the name of the file you downloaded, since the
extension should be .gem, not .gem.tar. Did you get it from rubyforge? From
the rubyforge wxruby page, I could download a file called

wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem

Of course, being on linux, I can't try to install it.

I hope this helps

Stefano

7stud --

Stefano Crocco wrote:
> Alle Thursday 31 January 2008, 7stud -- ha scritto:
>> I get the error:
>>
>> $ gem install -r wxruby
>>
>> If it is a local file, do I just cd to the directory the file is in and
>> type:
>>
>> $ gem install wxruby
>>
>> ???
>
> In linux, you simply do:
>
> gem install gem_file.gem
> /Users/me/Desktop/wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem.tar
>
> What I find strange is the name of the file you downloaded, since the
> extension should be .gem, not .gem.tar. Did you get it from rubyforge?
> From
> the rubyforge wxruby page, I could download a file called>
> wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem
>
> Of course, being on linux, I can't try to install it.
>
> I hope this helps
>
> Stefano

Thanks for the response. This is the file I downloaded:

http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/30865/wxruby-1....

I think OS X automatically unzips a file after I download it producing:

/Users/me/Desktop/wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem.tar

Stefano Crocco

Alle Thursday 31 January 2008, 7stud -- ha scritto:
> Stefano Crocco wrote:
> > Alle Thursday 31 January 2008, 7stud -- ha scritto:
> >> I get the error:
> >>
> >> $ gem install -r wxruby
> >>
> >> If it is a local file, do I just cd to the directory the file is in and
> >> type:
> >>
> >> $ gem install wxruby
> >>
> >> ???
> >
> > In linux, you simply do:
> >
> > gem install gem_file.gem
> > /Users/me/Desktop/wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem.tar
> >
> > What I find strange is the name of the file you downloaded, since the
> > extension should be .gem, not .gem.tar. Did you get it from rubyforge?
> > From
> > the rubyforge wxruby page, I could download a file called>
> > wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem
> >
> > Of course, being on linux, I can't try to install it.
> >
> > I hope this helps
> >
> > Stefano
>
> Thanks for the response. This is the file I downloaded:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/30865/wxruby-1....
>
> I think OS X automatically unzips a file after I download it producing:
>
> /Users/me/Desktop/wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem.tar

This seems even more strange. The file wxruby-1.9.4.tar.gz is not the gem
version, so, even if the file was automatically unzipped, it should be called
wxruby-1.9.4.tar

If you want to use rubygems, you should download this file:
http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/30889/wxruby-1.9.4-universal-...

then use

gem install wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem

Stefano

7stud --

Stefano Crocco wrote:
> This seems even more strange. The file wxruby-1.9.4.tar.gz is not the
> gem
> version, so, even if the file was automatically unzipped, it should be
> called
> wxruby-1.9.4.tar
>
> If you want to use rubygems, you should download this file:
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/30889/wxruby-1.9.4-universal-...
>
> then use
>
> gem install wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem
>
> Stefano

Whoops. I went to this page:

http://rubyforge.org/frs/?g...

and I downloaded:

wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem

That hit my Desktop as:

wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem.tar

and then I had the problems outlined in my first post.

Joshua Ballanco

7stud -- wrote:
> Stefano Crocco wrote:
>> This seems even more strange. The file wxruby-1.9.4.tar.gz is not the
>> gem
>> version, so, even if the file was automatically unzipped, it should be
>> called
>> wxruby-1.9.4.tar
>>
>> If you want to use rubygems, you should download this file:
>> http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/30889/wxruby-1.9.4-universal-...
>>
>> then use
>>
>> gem install wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem
>>
>> Stefano
>
> Whoops. I went to this page:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/?g...
>
> and I downloaded:
>
> wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem
>
> That hit my Desktop as:
>
> wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem.tar
>
> and then I had the problems outlined in my first post.

I recall an article on this recently (I believe from the Apple Developer
Connection). Apparently, due to some form of server oddness, Safari
seems to tack on spurious .tar and .gz extensions. You should be able to
simple rename the file, removing the .tar, and install as normal.

7stud --

Joshua Ballanco wrote:

> I recall an article on this recently (I believe from the Apple Developer
> Connection). Apparently, due to some form of server oddness, Safari
> seems to tack on spurious .tar and .gz extensions. You should be able to
> simple rename the file, removing the .tar, and install as normal.

Ok, I renamed the file, but I don't know how to "install as normal"
because I've never installed a local gem. When I try:

$ gem install /Users/me/Desktop/wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem

I get:

ERROR: could not find
/Users/me/Desktop/wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem locally or in a
repository

And when I try:

$ gem install wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem

I get:

ERROR: could not find wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem locally or in a
repository

7stud --

7stud -- wrote:

> And when I try:
>
> $ gem install wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem
>
> I get:
>
> ERROR: could not find wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem locally or in a
> repository

I was at the Desktop directory when I tried that:

~/Desktop$ gem install wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem

Joshua Ballanco

7stud -- wrote:
> 7stud -- wrote:
>>
>> And when I try:
>>
>> $ gem install wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem
>>
>> I get:
>>
>> ERROR: could not find wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem locally or in a
>> repository
>
> I was at the Desktop directory when I tried that:
>
> ~/Desktop$ gem install wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem

try either

'gem install wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem'

or

'gem install wxruby -l -v 1.9.4'

Phrogz

On Jan 31, 11:34 pm, 7stud -- <bbxx789_0...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> 7stud -- wrote:
>
> > And when I try:
>
> > $ gem install wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem
>
> > I get:
>
> > ERROR: could not find wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem locally or in a
> > repository
>
> I was at the Desktop directory when I tried that:
>
> ~/Desktop$ gem install wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem

To be sure, could you output the listing of your desktop? (You're sure
there's a file there with that exact name? Tab-completed it, did you?)

Daniel Gona

7stud -- wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the file:
>
> wxruby-1.9.4-universal-darwin.gem.tar
>
> How do I install that?

on os x rename filename.gem.tar to filename.gem and install gem install
filename.gem

regards