GUI for a newbie

Matthew Borgeson

1/31/2008 8:56:00 PM

Hello All-

I have taken up Ruby over the past year and have finally written 7
applications for various functions for my job as a clinical pharmacist.

The problem I have here is that while my programs all work great, they
are all CLI interface. In order to increase their palatability among my
coworkers, however, I wish to add a GUI.

The question I have here is NOT which is the best for my needs. I have
it nailed down to three based on the platforms and screenshots I have
seen of their results:

Gtk (Would be nice on my Nokia n800 maemo)
Qt (My preference)
Tk (Seems to be the favorite of the Ruby folk)

My question is which would be the easiest to learn. While I want to use
Qt (I just feel comfortable with its maturity)I am concerned by how hard
it will be to learn, considering I have no C++ background.

Any guidance before I commit to learning one would be appreciated...

Thank you

Matthew F Borgeson

Joel VanderWerf

Matthew Borgeson wrote:
> Gtk (Would be nice on my Nokia n800 maemo)
> Qt (My preference)
> Tk (Seems to be the favorite of the Ruby folk)
>
> My question is which would be the easiest to learn. While I want to use
> Qt (I just feel comfortable with its maturity)I am concerned by how hard
> it will be to learn, considering I have no C++ background.

Does it affect your decision that Nokia just bought the company that
makes Qt?

I've never developed anything with Qt, but it seems unlikely that you
need to know any C++ to use the ruby bindings.

Stefano Crocco

Alle Thursday 31 January 2008, Matthew Borgeson ha scritto:
> Hello All-
>
> I have taken up Ruby over the past year and have finally written 7
> applications for various functions for my job as a clinical pharmacist.
>
> The problem I have here is that while my programs all work great, they
> are all CLI interface. In order to increase their palatability among my
> coworkers, however, I wish to add a GUI.
>
> The question I have here is NOT which is the best for my needs. I have
> it nailed down to three based on the platforms and screenshots I have
> seen of their results:
>
> Gtk (Would be nice on my Nokia n800 maemo)
> Qt (My preference)
> Tk (Seems to be the favorite of the Ruby folk)
>
> My question is which would be the easiest to learn. While I want to use
> Qt (I just feel comfortable with its maturity)I am concerned by how hard
> it will be to learn, considering I have no C++ background.
>
> Any guidance before I commit to learning one would be appreciated...
>
> Thank you
>
> Matthew F Borgeson

In my opinion Qt is easy to learn (although, I admit I used it in C++ before
using it in ruby). It's true it's written for C++, but most of it is quite
clear and I believe that you can follow it even without knowing C++ (you just
have to ignore everything which doesn't concern ruby, for example destructors,
memory management, virtual functions and so on). There's also a tutorial,
included with QtRuby, which is a porting of the original C++ tutorial which I
think is well done. At

http://developer.kde.org/language-bindings/ruby/...

you'll find a quick overview of the main differences between the ruby and C++
versions.

Stefano

Reid Thompson

Using GTK, you could build the gui with Glade

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 05:56 +0900, Matthew Borgeson wrote:
> Hello All-
>
> I have taken up Ruby over the past year and have finally written 7
> applications for various functions for my job as a clinical pharmacist.
>
> The problem I have here is that while my programs all work great, they
> are all CLI interface. In order to increase their palatability among my
> coworkers, however, I wish to add a GUI.
>
> The question I have here is NOT which is the best for my needs. I have
> it nailed down to three based on the platforms and screenshots I have
> seen of their results:
>
> Gtk (Would be nice on my Nokia n800 maemo)
> Qt (My preference)
> Tk (Seems to be the favorite of the Ruby folk)
>
> My question is which would be the easiest to learn. While I want to use
> Qt (I just feel comfortable with its maturity)I am concerned by how hard
> it will be to learn, considering I have no C++ background.
>
> Any guidance before I commit to learning one would be appreciated...
>
> Thank you
>
> Matthew F Borgeson

Stefano Crocco

Alle Thursday 31 January 2008, Reid Thompson ha scritto:
> Using GTK, you could build the gui with Glade

Qt include a designer, which does (I think) the same things glade does.

Stefano

Matthew Borgeson

Joel VanderWerf wrote:
> Matthew Borgeson wrote:
>> Gtk (Would be nice on my Nokia n800 maemo)
>> Qt (My preference)
>> Tk (Seems to be the favorite of the Ruby folk)
>>
>> My question is which would be the easiest to learn. While I want to use
>> Qt (I just feel comfortable with its maturity)I am concerned by how hard
>> it will be to learn, considering I have no C++ background.
>
> Does it affect your decision that Nokia just bought the company that
> makes Qt?
>
> I've never developed anything with Qt, but it seems unlikely that you
> need to know any C++ to use the ruby bindings.

It doesn't really affect my decision per se...

I personally develop using KDevelop on OpenSuse 10.3. The choice of
IDE(Glade, QtDesigner, Eclipse, et cetera)is irrelevant to me; likewise,
as KDE (using Qt) has been made to run on the n800, and gtk runs under
maemo on the n800 no problem, the purchase has little effect on my
decision; I really want just nice-looking, cross platform apps (thus my
decision for Qt) in the least amount of time possible...thus my choice
of the aforementioned three

I am really looking for ease of learning and time to proficiency.

Lorenzo E. Danielsson

Matthew Borgeson wrote:
> Hello All-
>
> I have taken up Ruby over the past year and have finally written 7
> applications for various functions for my job as a clinical pharmacist.
>
> The problem I have here is that while my programs all work great, they
> are all CLI interface. In order to increase their palatability among my
> coworkers, however, I wish to add a GUI.
>
> The question I have here is NOT which is the best for my needs. I have
> it nailed down to three based on the platforms and screenshots I have
> seen of their results:
>
> Gtk (Would be nice on my Nokia n800 maemo)
> Qt (My preference)
> Tk (Seems to be the favorite of the Ruby folk)
>
> My question is which would be the easiest to learn. While I want to use
> Qt (I just feel comfortable with its maturity)I am concerned by how hard
> it will be to learn, considering I have no C++ background.

Since nobody seems to have done it yet, let me place a +1 for Tk. I'm
not really into GUI programming much, but Tk has always felt very
straight-forward to me. And the new tk8.5 looks really nice (if you want
to judge a book by its cover). Most importantly, I think it is
significantly easier to learn Tk than Gtk or Qt.

I have played around a bit with both QtRuby and Ruby/Gtk and their both
okay, I guess. I'm not a huge fan of either. I must say that a slightly
prefer Ruby's Gtk bindings to the Qt ones, although I prefer Qt itself
to Gtk.

If *I* were to build a GUI app for some inexplicable reason I would
start searching for bindings for Motif or the excellent Athena widget set..

Lorenzo
> Any guidance before I commit to learning one would be appreciated...
>
> Thank you
>
> Matthew F Borgeson

Raffaele Tesi

give a look to Shoes, powered by _why (a top guy)

http://code.whytheluckystiff....

Dominik Honnef

On [Fri, 01.02.2008 10:03], Lorenzo E. Danielsson wrote:
> Matthew Borgeson wrote:
>> Hello All-
>>
>> I have taken up Ruby over the past year and have finally written 7
>> applications for various functions for my job as a clinical pharmacist.
>>
>> The problem I have here is that while my programs all work great, they
>> are all CLI interface. In order to increase their palatability among my
>> coworkers, however, I wish to add a GUI.
>>
>> The question I have here is NOT which is the best for my needs. I have
>> it nailed down to three based on the platforms and screenshots I have
>> seen of their results:
>>
>> Gtk (Would be nice on my Nokia n800 maemo)
>> Qt (My preference)
>> Tk (Seems to be the favorite of the Ruby folk)
>>
>> My question is which would be the easiest to learn. While I want to use
>> Qt (I just feel comfortable with its maturity)I am concerned by how hard
>> it will be to learn, considering I have no C++ background.
>>
> Since nobody seems to have done it yet, let me place a +1 for Tk. I'm
> not really into GUI programming much, but Tk has always felt very
> straight-forward to me. And the new tk8.5 looks really nice (if you want
> to judge a book by its cover). Most importantly, I think it is
> significantly easier to learn Tk than Gtk or Qt.
>
> I have played around a bit with both QtRuby and Ruby/Gtk and their both
> okay, I guess. I'm not a huge fan of either. I must say that a slightly
> prefer Ruby's Gtk bindings to the Qt ones, although I prefer Qt itself
> to Gtk.
>
> If *I* were to build a GUI app for some inexplicable reason I would
> start searching for bindings for Motif or the excellent Athena widget
> set..
>
> Lorenzo
>> Any guidance before I commit to learning one would be appreciated...
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Matthew F Borgeson

imo, Gtk is very straightforward to program/learn. Don't know about Tk though.
--
Dominik Honnef

Raffaele Tesi

about tk, see:
http://arcadia.ruby...

"Arcadia is a Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for Ruby language
written in Ruby using the classic tcl/tk GUI toolkit."

Dirk Traulsen

Am 1 Feb 2008 um 7:07 hat Matthew Borgeson geschrieben:

> I really want just nice-looking, cross platform apps (thus
> my decision for Qt) in the least amount of time possible...thus my choice
> of the aforementioned three

Qt is a good choice, but did you have a look at WxRuby?

Unlike Gtk or Tk, it is truly cross-platform with native look and feel,
because it uses the native tool kits of the platform, for example
Windows widgets on Win32, Aqua on OS X and GTK on Linux.

Have a look:
http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?S...

It is just a gem away:
gem install wxruby