comp.lang.lisp

Tilton: CL similar to COBOL

William James

11/2/2015 3:37:00 PM

Ken Tilton wrote: (Fri, 08 Dec 2006 18:04:02 -0500)

> Come on, COBOL is a great language, even has macros (copy ... replacing)
> and the worlds greatest case statement, evaluate. We are proud to be its
> neightbor.

Worshippers of CL (COBOL-Like) are the worst enemies that Lispy
languages have ever had.

--
The report card by the American Society of Civil Engineers showed the national
infrastructure a single grade above failure, a step from declining to the point

Kaz Kylheku

On 2015-11-02, WJ <w_a_x_man@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote: (Fri, 08 Dec 2006 18:04:02 -0500)
>
>> Come on, COBOL is a great language, even has macros (copy ... replacing)
>> and the worlds greatest case statement, evaluate. We are proud to be its
>> neightbor.
>
> Worshippers of CL (COBOL-Like) are the worst enemies that Lispy
> languages have ever had.

In what way? Evidence?

Suppose programmers who like CL are complete idiots. In that case, they
are busy with their CL activities, and don't harm anything else.

The only way CL can be an enemy of "Lispy languages" is if it takes available
talent away from those languages. But then you can't claim that CL people are
"rabid monkeys", et cetera.

CL isn't highly popular; it's not being crammed down your throat like
Java or whatever.

There might have been a brief time in the history of Lisp where that was the
case; Common Lisp was standardized, or just about, and so some people who were
paid to do Lisp work, who had their nice dialects going with their own
innovations, had to conform to CL. That was understandably unfortunate.

Today, you can safely ignore CL if it's not to your taste.

(Obviously, not something you're able to do.)

Marco Antoniotti

On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 8:23:05 PM UTC+1, Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> On 2015-11-02, WJ <w_a_x_man@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Ken Tilton wrote: (Fri, 08 Dec 2006 18:04:02 -0500)
> >
> >> Come on, COBOL is a great language, even has macros (copy ... replacing)
> >> and the worlds greatest case statement, evaluate. We are proud to be its
> >> neightbor.
> >
> > Worshippers of CL (COBOL-Like) are the worst enemies that Lispy
> > languages have ever had.
>
> In what way? Evidence?
>
> Suppose programmers who like CL are complete idiots. In that case, they
> are busy with their CL activities, and don't harm anything else.
>
> The only way CL can be an enemy of "Lispy languages" is if it takes available
> talent away from those languages. But then you can't claim that CL people are
> "rabid monkeys", et cetera.
>
> CL isn't highly popular; it's not being crammed down your throat like
> Java or whatever.
>
> There might have been a brief time in the history of Lisp where that was the
> case; Common Lisp was standardized, or just about, and so some people who were
> paid to do Lisp work, who had their nice dialects going with their own
> innovations, had to conform to CL. That was understandably unfortunate.
>
> Today, you can safely ignore CL if it's not to your taste.
>
> (Obviously, not something you're able to do.)

+1