Learn how to program

Regnum@argentina.com Regnum@argentina.com

1/30/2008 9:31:00 PM

Hi!, i want to learn how to program.Is ruby a good option?. Thanks.

Wyatt Greene

On Jan 30, 4:30 pm, "Reg...@argentina.com Reg...@argentina.com"
<reg...@argentina.com> wrote:
> Hi!, i want to learn how to program.Is ruby a good option?. Thanks.

Absolutely! Based on my experience as both a programmer and a
teacher, I would recommend Ruby as a first language. (I would not
recommend C++ or Scheme.) A good Ruby book for a first-time
programmer is Learn to Program by Chris Pine: http://pine.fm/Learn...

Wyatt Greene wrote:
> On Jan 30, 4:30 pm, "Reg...@argentina.com Reg...@argentina.com"
> <reg...@argentina.com> wrote:
>> Hi!, i want to learn how to program.Is ruby a good option?. Thanks.
>> --
>
> Absolutely! Based on my experience as both a programmer and a
> teacher, I would recommend Ruby as a first language. (I would not
> recommend C++ or Scheme.) A good Ruby book for a first-time
> programmer is Learn to Program by Chris Pine:
> http://pine.fm/Learn...

Thanks!!!.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Wyatt Greene wrote:
> Absolutely! Based on my experience as both a programmer and a
> teacher, I would recommend Ruby as a first language. (I would not
> recommend C++ or Scheme.) A good Ruby book for a first-time
> programmer is Learn to Program by Chris Pine: http://pine.fm/Learn...

You're right about C++ ... I don't think it should be anyone's first
language. In fact, I don't think it should be used at all. :)

But I think Scheme is a good first language as long as you have the
support tools, like "Dr Scheme". Raw Scheme is ... well ... too raw. :)

7stud --

Regnum@argentina.com Regnum@argentina.com wrote:
> Hi!, i want to learn how to program.Is ruby a good option?. Thanks.

I would not choose it as a first language. I recommend python.

ThoML

> But I think Scheme is a good first language as long as you have the
> support tools, like "Dr Scheme". Raw Scheme is ... well ... too raw. :)

Also, DrScheme was created with an educational intention in mind.
MzScheme is really powerful and the JIT can be quite fast.

@OP
But with respect to learning how to program: I'd rather go to the
local library or the next bookstore and check out a book (bundled
paper) that you like and that seems appropriate (if there is no
teacher or friend recommending one) and choose whatever language is
used in that book (with the exception of anything Basic-like or Perl
(if such a book exists); C and C++ could be less than optimal too).

longint

<reg...@argentina.com> wrote:
> Hi!, i want to learn how to program.Is ruby a good option?. Thanks.

I don't think I would recommend a dynamically typed language like
Ruby. Maybe something like C#, Java, or VB.NET as a first language.

Jeremy McAnally

I disagree. Languages like that make you focus more on what the deuce
the syntax is making you do rather than the algorithms and structures
beneath it. Something like Python or Ruby is perfect for learning the
important parts of programming that you can carry with you elsewhere.

(Note: I learned to program using Visual Basic and then moved to C#.
I know that approach works but I think I would've been much happier if
I'd started with something that had a cleaner syntax)

--Jeremy

On Jan 31, 2008 2:09 PM, longint <michael.mello@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 30, 4:30 pm, "Reg...@argentina.com Reg...@argentina.com"
> <reg...@argentina.com> wrote:
> > Hi!, i want to learn how to program.Is ruby a good option?. Thanks.
> > --
>
> I don't think I would recommend a dynamically typed language like
> Ruby. Maybe something like C#, Java, or VB.NET as a first language.

--
http://www.jeremymca...

My books:
Ruby in Practice
http://www.manning.com...

My free Ruby e-book
http://www.humblelittlerub...

My blogs:
http://www.mrneigh...
http://www.rubyinpra...

Thomas Wieczorek

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 8:09 PM, longint <michael.mello@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think I would recommend a dynamically typed language like
> Ruby. Maybe something like C#, Java, or VB.NET as a first language.

Yeah, start with Java or C#, you will be in heaven when you get back to Ruby ;)
Fun aside, I think Ruby is a good language to get started. You don't
have to create too much boilerplate code, you can solve a simple
problem simply and the community is awesome. Nearly all questions on
the list here are answered quite quickly. There's no "Eww, a n00b!"

Thomas Wieczorek

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 11:55 PM, Thomas Wieczorek
<wieczo.yo@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, start with Java or C#, you will be in heaven when you get back to Ruby ;)
> Fun aside, I think Ruby is a good language to get started. You don't
> have to create too much boilerplate code, you can solve a simple
> problem simply and the community is awesome. Nearly all questions on
> the list here are answered quite quickly. There's no "Eww, a n00b!"

Another great side of Ruby is that it embraces different programming
paradigms. You can start out with procedural programming,enjoy the
power of object-oriented techniques and you can use functional ideas
to solve your problems.
_why's Poignat Guide showed me how much fun it is: it's a comic, it's
a novel, it's a book to teach you programming, it's a lot of fun!
http://poignantguide...

Michael Bevilacqua-Linn

IMHO,

Java, C# and VB.NET are horrible teaching languages. You're neither close
enough to the machine to learn much about how a computer actually works, nor
at a high enough level to learn a lot of the fancy, abstract ways of
thinking that seem to help make good programmers.

Ruby and Python are pretty decent choices, I think.

MBL