Capture stdout and stderr from another process

Marcus Bristav

1/30/2008 3:15:00 PM

I want to

1. Start another (lengthy) process/command from a ruby script
2. Capture whatever that process is writing to stdout and stderr separately
3. At the samt time give feedback to the console on what is happening
(ie I don't want all information at the end, I want it as it is
available, maybe to a callback or so...)
4. Do it on windows

Possible? How if so?

I've tried with back ticks but that only captures stdout and I get all
info at the end (violates both 2 and 3 above). I've also looked at
systemu but that seems to violate 3 although I do get 2 (I may be
wrong about 3 though).

Best regards,

Marcus

1 Answer

Chris Hulan

On Jan 30, 10:15 am, Marcus Bristav <marcus.bris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to
>
> 1. Start another (lengthy) process/command from a ruby script
> 2. Capture whatever that process is writing to stdout and stderr separately
> 3. At the samt time give feedback to the console on what is happening
> (ie I don't want all information at the end, I want it as it is
> available, maybe to a callback or so...)
> 4. Do it on windows
>
> Possible? How if so?

Look at Win32-Process (http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.ph...
Process.html)