looking for XML parsers in Ruby

Ravindra Kumar

I am looking for a validating XML parser for ruby. I found that there
are libxml-ruby and ruby interface to expat available. Could someone
please tell me
which is the better in terms of performance and functionality? I am
looking for a parser that is stable and has good performance.

Regards,
Ravindra

Lloyd Linklater

Ravindra Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a validating XML parser for ruby. I found that there
> are libxml-ruby and ruby interface to expat available. Could someone
> please tell me
> which is the better in terms of performance and functionality? I am
> looking for a parser that is stable and has good performance.
>
> Regards,
> Ravindra

I searched the archives and found this:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/11/09/rexml-processing-xml-in...

Maybe you just typed in the wrong thing to search for and missed this.

vasudevram

On Jan 29, 5:55 pm, Lloyd Linklater <ll...@2live4.com> wrote:
> Ravindra Kumar wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I am looking for a validating XML parser for ruby. I found that there
> > are libxml-ruby and ruby interface to expat available. Could someone
> > please tell me
> > which is the better in terms of performance and functionality? I am
> > looking for a parser that is stable and has good performance.
>
> > Regards,
> > Ravindra
>
> I searched the archives and found this:http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/11/09/rexml-processing-xml-in...
>
> Maybe you just typed in the wrong thing to search for and missed this.

The OP said "validating XML parser". As I remember, REXML was not yet
that - when I last used it a while back. Also just checked the REXML
site that is linked to in the xml.com article URL you quote above;
unless REXML is now at some other site or the page is not updated, the
site seems to still show that it is not a validating parser.

- Vasudev Ram
Dancing Bison Enterprises
Software consulting and training
Biz site: http://www.dancin...
Blog (on software innovation): http://jugad.livej...
Quick and easy PDF creation toolkit: http://www.dancin.../products.html

Bryan Duxbury

Don't use REXML if performance is important to you. libxml-ruby is
10-100 times faster than REXML.

-Bryan

On Jan 29, 2008, at 4:55 AM, Lloyd Linklater wrote:

> Ravindra Kumar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking for a validating XML parser for ruby. I found that there
>> are libxml-ruby and ruby interface to expat available. Could someone
>> please tell me
>> which is the better in terms of performance and functionality? I am
>> looking for a parser that is stable and has good performance.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ravindra
>
> I searched the archives and found this:
> http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/11/09/rexml-processing-xml-in...
>
> Maybe you just typed in the wrong thing to search for and missed this.

Jeremy McAnally

And it's validating like the OP asked for. Double win!! :)

--Jeremy

On Jan 29, 2008 6:55 PM, Bryan Duxbury <bryan@rapleaf.com> wrote:
> Don't use REXML if performance is important to you. libxml-ruby is
> 10-100 times faster than REXML.
>
> -Bryan
>

> On Jan 29, 2008, at 4:55 AM, Lloyd Linklater wrote:
>
> > Ravindra Kumar wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am looking for a validating XML parser for ruby. I found that there
> >> are libxml-ruby and ruby interface to expat available. Could someone
> >> please tell me
> >> which is the better in terms of performance and functionality? I am
> >> looking for a parser that is stable and has good performance.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Ravindra
> >
> > I searched the archives and found this:
> > http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/11/09/rexml-processing-xml-in...
> >
> > Maybe you just typed in the wrong thing to search for and missed this.
> > --

http://www.jeremymca...

My books:
Ruby in Practice
http://www.manning.com...

My free Ruby e-book
http://www.humblelittlerub...

My blogs:
http://www.mrneigh...
http://www.rubyinpra...

Ravindra Kumar

Jeremy McAnally wrote:
> And it's validating like the OP asked for. Double win!! :)

Thank you all for your responses. Actually I am aware of libxml-ruby. I
just wanted to know if there is any better validating parser for ruby
other than libxml. It would be great if someone could give a brief
comparison otherwise libxml-ruby is good enough for my purpose.