Disable database support ?

Cristian Gradisteanu

1/28/2008 1:54:00 PM

Hello,
By default a new rails project comes with database enabled (by adding -d
option to your rails command when creating a new project you can change
the DBMS, by defaulds it says it's mysql but in rails 2.0.2 is
sqlite??).
Is there a way to avoid working with a database ? Commenting the
development lines in 'database.yml' does not seem to work! Is there
another way to do it?
I am new to this and wanted to play a bit with ruby without interacting
with a database yet, but I keep getting errors from configuration files
unless I create that database (in mysql, my case).
Thanks

Austin Ziegler

On Jan 28, 2008 8:54 AM, Cristian Gradisteanu <gradisteanuc@yahoo.com> wrote:
> By default a new rails project comes with database enabled (by adding -d
> option to your rails command when creating a new project you can change
> the DBMS, by defaulds it says it's mysql but in rails 2.0.2 is
> sqlite??).
> Is there a way to avoid working with a database ? Commenting the
> development lines in 'database.yml' does not seem to work! Is there
> another way to do it?
> I am new to this and wanted to play a bit with ruby without interacting
> with a database yet, but I keep getting errors from configuration files
> unless I create that database (in mysql, my case).

Ruby != Rails.

You don't need Rails to play with Ruby. If you want to play with Rails
without a database (for which there isn't much point), you should ask
on the Rails mailing list, not the Ruby mailing list.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/

Thomas Wieczorek

On Jan 28, 2008 8:54 AM, Cristian Gradisteanu <gradisteanuc@yahoo.com> wrote:
> By default a new rails project comes with database enabled (by adding -d
> option to your rails command when creating a new project you can change
> the DBMS, by defaulds it says it's mysql but in rails 2.0.2 is
> sqlite??).
> Is there a way to avoid working with a database ? Commenting the
> development lines in 'database.yml' does not seem to work! Is there
> another way to do it?
> I am new to this and wanted to play a bit with ruby without interacting
> with a database yet, but I keep getting errors from configuration files
> unless I create that database (in mysql, my case).

You might try ActiveRecord in a console application first. There are
some topics about "Railless ActiveRecord" or "ActiveRecord without
Rails" in the mailing list.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/ruby/2007/06/21/how-to-build-simple-console-apps-with-ruby-and-activerecord.h...
explains AR in a console app.