comp.lang.lisp

SLIME & Paredit Setup Mysteries

Frank GOENNINGER

8/23/2015 6:03:00 PM

Ok, I admit I lost track on how to setup Slime and Paredit for easy
editing ...
I can't seem to find a concice description on how to

1. Setup paredit such that when I type an open parenthesis in a Slime
repl buffer or a lisp source buffer I get the function of
paredit-open-paranthesis, meaning I get () and the cursor positioned at
the closimg )

2. Setup Slime such that when I type TAB I do get proper indentation
when at the beginning of an empty line and get Slime fuzzy completion
when I am sitting on a text - no matter if I am in the repl buffer or in
a lisp source buffer

I know it is easy - it just seems to be beyond me currently ... Oh well
- getting older ;-)

Thx for any hints or any avdice!

Cheers
Frank

14 Answers

Fred C. Dobbs

On 1/1/2013 10:52 AM, whoyakidding's ghost wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 10:44:39 -0800, "Fred C. Dobbs"
> <treasure@sierramadre.con> wrote:
>
>> a mentally defective and virulently racist white, "whoyakidding", lied:

>>> We agree on the phony cull, right?
>>
>> Here are some cites indicating the widely documented claim that gun control is racist in origin:
>>
>> http://www.guncite.com/journals/gun_control_wt...
>> http://constitution.org/cmt/cramer/racist...
>> http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/10/09/adam-winkler-gun-fight-author-on-gun-control-s-r...
>> http://www.infowars.com/gun-control-...
>> http://www.saf.org/lawreviews/tahmas...
>> http://frontpagemag.com/2012/ann-coulter/the-democrats-racist-gun-contro...
>
> [gutless evasion]

By any reasonable measure you're a mental defective who should be locked up.

know what's good for you, you won't monkey around with Fred C. Dobbs.

Fred C. Dobbs

On 1/1/2013 10:52 AM, jon_banquer wrote:
> [...]

>> disrespected; people like you who can't figure out how to exclude
>> someone's sig line from your response, when everyone else has it figured
>> out.
>>
>> --
>> Any more lip out of you and I'll haul off and let you have it...if you
>> know what's good for you, you won't monkey around with Fred C. Dobbs.
>

> The only thing you mock and ridicule is

Illogical, fact-free leftists who harbor bad values - you, for example -
and who therefore get just about everything wrong. I mock people like
you, all of whose opinions are unfounded and as a result are mocked and
disrespected; people like you who can't figure out how to exclude
someone's sig line from your response, when everyone else has it figured
out.

know what's good for you, you won't monkey around with Fred C. Dobbs.

swflint

Frank DG1SBG <dg1sbg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Ok, I admit I lost track on how to setup Slime and Paredit for easy
> editing ...
> I can't seem to find a concice description on how to
>
> 1. Setup paredit such that when I type an open parenthesis in a Slime
> repl buffer or a lisp source buffer I get the function of
> paredit-open-paranthesis, meaning I get () and the cursor positioned at
> the closimg )

(add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook #'paredit-mode)
Replacing lisp-mode-hook with different hooks as needed.

> 2. Setup Slime such that when I type TAB I do get proper indentation
> when at the beginning of an empty line and get Slime fuzzy completion
> when I am sitting on a text - no matter if I am in the repl buffer or in
> a lisp source buffer

Use M-TAB. And electric-indent-mode + aggressive-indent-mode for your
indentation.

> I know it is easy - it just seems to be beyond me currently ... Oh well
> - getting older ;-)
>
> Thx for any hints or any avdice!
>
> Cheers
> Frank

HTH,

Sam

--
Samuel W. Flint
4096R/266596F4

Anoop GR

On Monday, August 24, 2015 at 12:24:09 AM UTC+5:30, Samuel W. Flint wrote:
> Frank DG1SBG <dg1sbg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> > Ok, I admit I lost track on how to setup Slime and Paredit for easy
> > editing ...
> > I can't seem to find a concice description on how to
> >
> > 1. Setup paredit such that when I type an open parenthesis in a Slime
> > repl buffer or a lisp source buffer I get the function of
> > paredit-open-paranthesis, meaning I get () and the cursor positioned at
> > the closimg )
>
> (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook #'paredit-mode)
> Replacing lisp-mode-hook with different hooks as needed.
>
> > 2. Setup Slime such that when I type TAB I do get proper indentation
> > when at the beginning of an empty line and get Slime fuzzy completion
> > when I am sitting on a text - no matter if I am in the repl buffer or in
> > a lisp source buffer
>
> Use M-TAB. And electric-indent-mode + aggressive-indent-mode for your
> indentation.
>
> > I know it is easy - it just seems to be beyond me currently ... Oh well
> > - getting older ;-)
> >
> > Thx for any hints or any avdice!
> >
> > Cheers
> > Frank
> >

> HTH,
>
> Sam
>
> --
> Samuel W. Flint
> 4096R/266596F4
> (9477 D23E 389E 40C5 2F10 DE19 68E5 318E 2665 96F4)
> (?s.s s) ?s.s s

Sam, Is it possible to assign the M-tab function to C-tab ?

swflint

Anoop GR <anoopemacs@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Sam, Is it possible to assign the M-tab function to C-tab ?

I don't see why you couldn't.

Try something along the lines of (works only in a specific mode, you
need to know what the map is and what to set it to):

(define-key lisp-mode-map (kbd "C-tab") #'slime-complete-symbol)

Or use a key translation (works globally, but can be a pain/cause
problems):

(define-key key-translation-map [?\C-tab] [?\M-tab])
(define-key key-translation-map [?\M-tab] [?\C-tab])

HTH,

Sam

--

swflint@flintfam.org (Samuel W. Flint) writes:

> Frank DG1SBG <dg1sbg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Ok, I admit I lost track on how to setup Slime and Paredit for easy
>> editing ...
>> I can't seem to find a concice description on how to
>>
>> 1. Setup paredit such that when I type an open parenthesis in a Slime
>> repl buffer or a lisp source buffer I get the function of
>> paredit-open-paranthesis, meaning I get () and the cursor positioned at
>> the closimg )
>
> (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook #'paredit-mode)
> Replacing lisp-mode-hook with different hooks as needed.
>
>> 2. Setup Slime such that when I type TAB I do get proper indentation
>> when at the beginning of an empty line and get Slime fuzzy completion
>> when I am sitting on a text - no matter if I am in the repl buffer or in
>> a lisp source buffer
>
> Use M-TAB. And electric-indent-mode + aggressive-indent-mode for your
> indentation.
>
>> I know it is easy - it just seems to be beyond me currently ... Oh well
>> - getting older ;-)
>>
>> Thx for any hints or any avdice!
>>
>> Cheers
>> Frank
>>

> HTH,
>
> Sam

.... it helped. Happily hacking away... ;-)

Thx!

;; Frank

swflint

Frank DG1SBG <dg1sbg@googlemail.com> writes:

> swflint@flintfam.org (Samuel W. Flint) writes:
>
>> Frank DG1SBG <dg1sbg@googlemail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Ok, I admit I lost track on how to setup Slime and Paredit for easy
>>> editing ...
>>> I can't seem to find a concice description on how to
>>>
>>> 1. Setup paredit such that when I type an open parenthesis in a Slime
>>> repl buffer or a lisp source buffer I get the function of
>>> paredit-open-paranthesis, meaning I get () and the cursor positioned at
>>> the closimg )
>>
>> (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook #'paredit-mode)
>> Replacing lisp-mode-hook with different hooks as needed.
>>
>>> 2. Setup Slime such that when I type TAB I do get proper indentation
>>> when at the beginning of an empty line and get Slime fuzzy completion
>>> when I am sitting on a text - no matter if I am in the repl buffer or in
>>> a lisp source buffer
>>
>> Use M-TAB. And electric-indent-mode + aggressive-indent-mode for your
>> indentation.
>>
>>> I know it is easy - it just seems to be beyond me currently ... Oh well
>>> - getting older ;-)
>>>
>>> Thx for any hints or any avdice!
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Frank
>>>

>> HTH,
>>
>> Sam
>
> ... it helped. Happily hacking away... ;-)
>
> Thx!
>
> ;; Frank

Oh, and try using hippie (M-spc) and dabbrev (M-/) expansion, they are
great for completing on code that hasn't yet been eval'd.

Sam

--

On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 1:16:02 AM UTC+5:30, Samuel W. Flint wrote:
> Frank DG1SBG <dg1sbg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> > swflint@flintfam.org (Samuel W. Flint) writes:

> >> (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook #'paredit-mode)
> >> Replacing lisp-mode-hook with different hooks as needed.

> >> Use M-TAB. And electric-indent-mode + aggressive-indent-mode for your
> >> indentation.

> >> HTH,
> >>
> >> Sam
> >
> > ... it helped. Happily hacking away... ;-)
> >
> > Thx!
> >
> > ;; Frank
>
> Oh, and try using hippie (M-spc) and dabbrev (M-/) expansion, they are
> great for completing on code that hasn't yet been eval'd.
>
> Sam
>
> --
> Samuel W. Flint
> 4096R/266596F4
> (9477 D23E 389E 40C5 2F10 DE19 68E5 318E 2665 96F4)
> (?s.s s) ?s.s s

Thank you Sam
It looks like you know your way around these things with lights out,
I am just curious as to how long have you been hacking ?