[ANN] Thin 0.6.1 Cheesecake release

Marc-André Cournoyer

1/26/2008 5:51:00 PM

Hey all,

Version 0.6.1 (codename Cheesecake) of the fastest Ruby server is out!
http://code.macournoyer...

== What's new?

Lots and lots of new features: config file support, uses less memory,
speed tweaks,
and UNIX domain socket connection support!

More info:
http://macournoyer.wordpress.com/2008/01/26/get-intimate-with-your-load-balance...

Changelog from 0.5.4:
* Add support for connection through UNIX domain socket.
Use the --socket (-S) option w/ the thin script to configure the
socket filename.
Nginx support binding to a UNIX socket like this:

upstream backend {
server unix:/tmp/thin.0.sock;
server unix:/tmp/thin.1.sock;
server unix:/tmp/thin.2.sock;
}

Start your servers like this:

thin start -s3 -S/tmp/thin.sock

* Remove Server#listen! method. Use Server#start instead.
* Server can now yield a Rack::Builder to allow building an app in one
call:

Server.start '0.0.0.0', 3000 do
use Rack::CommonLogger
use Rack::ShowExceptions
map "/lobster" do
use Rack::Lint
run Rack::Lobster.new

* Add a very basic stats page through Stats adapter, load w/ --stats
and browse to /stats.
* Add --trace (-V) option to trace request/response and get backtrace
w/out all Ruby debug stuff.
* Add --config (-C) option to load options from a config file in thin
script [Matt Todd].
* Alter response headers to output directly to a string.
* Improve specs stability.
* Move request body to a Tempfile if too big (> 112 MB)
* Remove useless check for max header size in Request (already done in
the parser)

== Get it!

sudo gem install thin

Might take some time for the gem mirrors to be updated, try adding
--source http://code.macou... to the command if it doesn't work

If you installed a previous alpha version (if you have 0.6.1 already
installed)
uninstall it before: sudo gem uninstall thin

WARNING:
Thin is still alpha software, if you use it on your server you
understand the
risks that are involved.

== Contribute

If you're using Thin, let me know and I'll put your site on http://code.macournoyer...users/

Thin is driven by an active community of passionate coders and
benchmarkers. Please join us, contribute
or share some ideas in Thin Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/thin-r...

Also on IRC: #thin on freenode

Thanks to all the people who contributed to Thin, EventMachine, Rack
and Mongrel.

Marc-Andre Cournoyer
http://macour...

4 Answers

Dane Jensen

Sent from my iPod Touch

On Jan 26, 2008, at 9:50 AM, Marc-Andr=C3=A9 Cournoyer =20
<macournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Version 0.6.1 (codename Cheesecake) of the fastest Ruby server is out!
> http://code.macournoyer...
>
> =3D=3D What's new?
>
> Lots and lots of new features: config file support, uses less =20
> memory, speed tweaks,
> and UNIX domain socket connection support!
>
> More info:
> =
http://macournoyer.wordpress.com/2008/01/26/get-intimate-with-you...
lancer-tonight/

> Changelog from 0.5.4:
> * Add support for connection through UNIX domain socket.
> Use the --socket (-S) option w/ the thin script to configure the =20
> socket filename.
> Nginx support binding to a UNIX socket like this:
>
> upstream backend {
> server unix:/tmp/thin.0.sock;
> server unix:/tmp/thin.1.sock;
> server unix:/tmp/thin.2.sock;
> }
>
> Start your servers like this:
>
> thin start -s3 -S/tmp/thin.sock
>
> * Remove Server#listen! method. Use Server#start instead.
> * Server can now yield a Rack::Builder to allow building an app in =20
> one call:
>
> Server.start '0.0.0.0', 3000 do
> use Rack::CommonLogger
> use Rack::ShowExceptions
> map "/lobster" do
> use Rack::Lint
> run Rack::Lobster.new
>
> * Add a very basic stats page through Stats adapter, load w/ --stats =20=

> and browse to /stats.
> * Add --trace (-V) option to trace request/response and get =20
> backtrace w/out all Ruby debug stuff.
> * Add --config (-C) option to load options from a config file in =20
> thin script [Matt Todd].
> * Alter response headers to output directly to a string.
> * Improve specs stability.
> * Move request body to a Tempfile if too big (> 112 MB)
> * Remove useless check for max header size in Request (already done =20=

> in the parser)
>
> =3D=3D Get it!
>
> sudo gem install thin
>
> Might take some time for the gem mirrors to be updated, try adding
> --source http://code.macou... to the command if it doesn't work
>
> If you installed a previous alpha version (if you have 0.6.1 already =20=

> installed)
> uninstall it before: sudo gem uninstall thin
>
> WARNING:
> Thin is still alpha software, if you use it on your server you =20
> understand the
> risks that are involved.
>
> =3D=3D Contribute
>
> If you're using Thin, let me know and I'll put your site on =
http://code.macournoyer...users/

> Thin is driven by an active community of passionate coders and =20
> benchmarkers. Please join us, contribute
> or share some ideas in Thin Google Group: =
http://groups.google.com/group/thin-r...

> Also on IRC: #thin on freenode
>
> Thanks to all the people who contributed to Thin, EventMachine, Rack =20=

> and Mongrel.
>
> Marc-Andre Cournoyer
> http://macour...

Dane Jensen

Sorry all. I was reading the list and fell for my daughter's =20
distraction. In two seconds flat she'd unlocked my ipod and sent a =20
reply.

Curse you Apple your uis so easy a 18 month old can master them!

-Dane

Sent from my iPod Touch

<macournoyer@gmail.co=20
> [...]

>> --source http://code.macou... to the command if it doesn't =20
>> work
>>
>> If you installed a previous alpha version (if you have 0.6.1 =20
>> already installed)
>> uninstall it before: sudo gem uninstall thin
>>
>> WARNING:
>> Thin is still alpha software, if you use it on your server you =20
>> understand the
>> risks that are involved.
>>
>> =3D=3D Contribute
>>
>> If you're using Thin, let me know and I'll put your site on =
http://code.macournoyer...users/

>> Thin is driven by an active community of passionate coders and =20
>> benchmarkers. Please join us, contribute
>> or share some ideas in Thin Google Group: =
http://groups.google.com/group/thin-r...

>> Also on IRC: #thin on freenode
>>
>> Thanks to all the people who contributed to Thin, EventMachine, =20

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that Klaus Schadenfreude
<klausschadenfreude@yahoo.com> on or about Tue, 01 Jan 2013 06:01:28
-0800 did write, type or otherwise cause to appear in
talk.politics.guns the following:
>>Too_Many_Tools <too_many_tools@yahoo.com> wrote in talk.politics.guns :
>
>>On Dec 31 2012, 5:03?pm, pyotr filipivich <ph...@mindspring.com>
>>wrote:
>>> Are these actors going to demand an end to the Hollywood Culture of
>>> Violence? Or are they just going to prostitute themselves in order to
>>> feel good?
>>>
>>> Demand a plan = ban movies celebrating the culture of violence.
>>>
>>> For the Children.
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h...
>>>
>>> tschus
>>> pyotr
>>> --
>>> pyotr filipivich
>>> TV NEWS: Yesterday's newspaper read to the illiterate.
>>
>>So they don't have the right of free speech?
>
>They DO. And it's so much fun to illustrate their hypocrisy, isn't it?

I believe it was Senator Humphrey who said that the right to free
speech doesn't come with a right to be taken seriously.

They have every right to air their "views" - I have a right to
point out their hypocrisy and idiocy. Sheesh, if it weren't for TMT
exercising his right to speak, how would we know what sort of amoral
idiotic jerk he really was?

--
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,

Gray Guest

Too_Many_Tools <too_many_tools@yahoo.com> wrote in news:6a88c94c-750c-4978-
8f3d-822ab1651683@w3g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

> On Dec 31 2012, 5:03?pm, pyotr filipivich <ph...@mindspring.com>
> wrote:
>> Are these actors going to demand an end to the Hollywood Culture of
>> Violence? Or are they just going to prostitute themselves in order to
>> feel good?
>>
>> Demand a plan = ban movies celebrating the culture of violence.
>>
>> For the Children.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h...
>>
>> tschus
>> pyotr
>> --
>> pyotr filipivich
>> TV NEWS: Yesterday's newspaper read to the illiterate.
>
> So they don't have the right of free speech?
>
> Tell you what...why don't you conservatives get together and make a
> video so we can laugh our asses off.
>

> Laugh..laugh..laugh..
>
> TMT

Tell me, do you not see the hypocrisy or do you agree with it?

People who make fortunes glamorizing violence and gun play whining about
gun violence?

No, they are emptyheads. You have to be sentient to have rights.

--
Refusenik #1

Libs suffer from Eleutherophobia. And there is no cure.

Obama called the SEALs and THEY got bin Laden. When the SEALs called Obama,
THEY GOT DENIED. Fuck Obama