monitoring postgres transaction

Gian Holland

Hi I would like to monitor postgres transactions in a realtime fashion, is
there a library I can use to help me facilitate this functionality

5 Answers

Reid Thompson

Gian Holland wrote:
> Hi I would like to monitor postgres transactions in a realtime fashion, is
> there a library I can use to help me facilitate this functionality

Explain what you mean by monitor.

Gian Holland

I would like to display queries live

On Jan 26, 2008 11:07 AM, Reid Thompson <reid.thompson@ateb.com> wrote:

> Gian Holland wrote:
> > Hi I would like to monitor postgres transactions in a realtime fashion,
> is
> > there a library I can use to help me facilitate this functionality
> >
> Explain what you mean by monitor.

Bob Gustafson

You could use Wireshark to look at the packets going from your
application to the postgresql server.

Wireshark has a 'real time' mode. It also has parsers built-in which
interpret the bits in each packet.

Bob G

On Jan 26, 2008, at 12:15, Gian Holland wrote:

> I would like to display queries live
>
> On Jan 26, 2008 11:07 AM, Reid Thompson <reid.thompson@ateb.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Gian Holland wrote:
>>> Hi I would like to monitor postgres transactions in a realtime
>>> fashion,
>> is
>>> there a library I can use to help me facilitate this functionality
>>>
>> Explain what you mean by monitor.

Felix Windt

On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 03:26 +0900, Bob Gustafson wrote:
> You could use Wireshark to look at the packets going from your
> application to the postgresql server.
>
> Wireshark has a 'real time' mode. It also has parsers built-in which
> interpret the bits in each packet.
>
> Bob G
>
> On Jan 26, 2008, at 12:15, Gian Holland wrote:
>
> > I would like to display queries live
> >
> > On Jan 26, 2008 11:07 AM, Reid Thompson <reid.thompson@ateb.com>
> > wrote:

> >> is
> >>>
> >> Explain what you mean by monitor.

While I'm not aware of a ruby library for this, the API for postgresql
certainly offers support for notifications:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/libpq-n...

The example linked from that page shows C code that gets notified on
actions on a particular table.

HTH,

Felix

Reid Thompson

Gian Holland wrote:
> I would like to display queries live
>
> On Jan 26, 2008 11:07 AM, Reid Thompson wrote:
>
>> Gian Holland wrote:
>>> Hi I would like to monitor postgres transactions in a realtime fashion,
>> is
>>> there a library I can use to help me facilitate this functionality
>>>
>> Explain what you mean by monitor.

With the proper configuration flags turned on, you can query internal postgresql
table(s) for running queries. But, short lived queries will probably be in and
out of the table(s) too fast to be seen.