date format change on www.ruby-forum.com

SpringFlowers AutumnMoon

1/26/2008 1:42:00 PM

on ruby-forum.com, the date is displayed as

Posted by SpringFlowers AutumnMoon (winterheat) on 26.01.2008 02:20

what if it is 12.10.2008

does it make you feel whether it is Oct or Dec, if this forum is used by
people all over the world?

do you like the idea that we use

2008.10.12

or

Oct 12, 2008

the first one usually won't mean December any where... the second one
has no confusion.

it may not be a big deal... but the 26.01.2008 02:20 can also look
similar to an IP address and i thought why is my IP being posted.

2008.10.12 - 02:20

or

Oct 12, 2008 - 02:20

might appear more clear to the eyes.

Bob Gustafson

In many places, the date is formatted as 12 Oct 2008. This is shorter
(no comma) and is also in a 'sort of sortable' sequence (DMY or YMD).

24 hr time is also a useful format. I have been looking for a wall
clock with 24 hr time. Usually the designers have only a leading '1'
and don't allow for a leading '2'.

Bob G

On Jan 26, 2008, at 07:42, SpringFlowers AutumnMoon wrote:

> on ruby-forum.com, the date is displayed as
>
> Posted by SpringFlowers AutumnMoon (winterheat) on 26.01.2008 02:20
>
> what if it is 12.10.2008
>
> does it make you feel whether it is Oct or Dec, if this forum is
> used by
> people all over the world?
>
> do you like the idea that we use
>
> 2008.10.12
>
> or
>
> Oct 12, 2008
>
> the first one usually won't mean December any where... the second one
> has no confusion.
>
> it may not be a big deal... but the 26.01.2008 02:20 can also look
> similar to an IP address and i thought why is my IP being posted.
>
> 2008.10.12 - 02:20
>
> or
>
> Oct 12, 2008 - 02:20
>
> might appear more clear to the eyes.

Dirk Traulsen

Am 26 Jan 2008 um 22:42 hat SpringFlowers AutumnMoon geschrieben:

> on ruby-forum.com, the date is displayed as
>
> Posted by SpringFlowers AutumnMoon (winterheat) on 26.01.2008
> 02:20
>
> what if it is 12.10.2008
>
> does it make you feel whether it is Oct or Dec, if this forum is used
> by people all over the world?

Considering the very different date formats around the world, I would
prefer either 12 Oct 2008 or the ISO 8601 date notation 2008-10-12 for
clarity reasons.

Dirk