comp.lang.lisp

Riak client in Lisp with protobuf protocol?

Frank GOENNINGER

8/8/2015 6:34:00 PM

Hi all,

I was looking for a client lib to Riak (see
http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/dev/using/applicat... ) and
found that there are

* https://github.com/wh...
* https://github.com/eriknomit...

mentioned as community developed client libs on the Riak web page.
Unfortunately, they are either at a very early stage still or, well, not at
a majurity level I am looking for.

There is also

* https://github.com/okflo...

which looked promisingat first glance ...

So I am writing my own protobuf based lib now - but maybe there is
someone out there that can claim Been There; Done That. I'd love to
hear how far you got ... Or, you maybe even are able to share this?

TIA!

Kind regards

Frank

3 Answers

okflo

Hi Frank,

Frank DG1SBG <dg1sbg@googlemail.com> writes:

> There is also
>
> * https://github.com/okflo...

that was me :) - I evaluted (amongst other stores) riak for a project as
a high-performance/high-traffic-prove store, but at that time found no
lisp client implementing the binary-protocol of riak, so I started to
craft my own.

Quite easy thanks to the cl-protobufs library!

The binary-interface IIRC was about 20% faster than the non-binary
interface.

But as I didn't use riak in the end (I build my own store, long story)
cl-pbriak was never finished, but always on my todo-list... :(

okflo

Frank GOENNINGER

okflo@diesenbacher.net (Otto Diesenbacher-Reinmüller) writes:

> Hi Frank,
>
> Frank DG1SBG <dg1sbg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> There is also
>>
>> * https://github.com/okflo...
>
> that was me :) - I evaluted (amongst other stores) riak for a project as
> a high-performance/high-traffic-prove store, but at that time found no
> lisp client implementing the binary-protocol of riak, so I started to
> craft my own.
>
> Quite easy thanks to the cl-protobufs library!
>
> The binary-interface IIRC was about 20% faster than the non-binary
> interface.
>
> But as I didn't use riak in the end (I build my own store, long story)
> cl-pbriak was never finished, but always on my todo-list... :(
>
> okflo

Hi okflo!

Thanks for this! It got me started and I am currently re-writing it - I
need to make all this fit into our coding guidelines and logging
mechanisms and such ...

As I want to use this for a commercial project I'd like to know if I can
re-use the protobuf definitions and your def-rpb-command (which I
slightly modified) in that code - or under which conditons. It is
guaranteed that you will be mentioned as the original author, of course.

Would you please let me know yout feedback? Thanks!

Kind regards

Frank

okflo

dear Frank,

Frank DG1SBG <dg1sbg@googlemail.com> writes:
> Would you please let me know yout feedback? Thanks!

I've sent you an email.

okflo