gem on windows fails with 1.9.0

Munagala Ramanath

After installing 1.9.0-0 binaries from
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/...
on Windows, gem (i.e. gem list) fails with a popup diagnostic saying "The
application
failed to start because zlib.dll was not found."

Any help on where to get this dll and where to put it is appreciated.
Thanks.

2 Answers

Luis Lavena

On 24 ene, 02:48, Munagala Ramanath <amberar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
>
> After installing 1.9.0-0 binaries fromhttp://www.ruby-lang.org/en/...
> on Windows, gem (i.e. gem list) fails with a popup diagnostic saying "The
> application
> failed to start because zlib.dll was not found."

The message is clear: you lack zlib.dll file to use RubyGems
(actually, the zlib extension is the one uss it).

> Any help on where to get this dll and where to put it is appreciated.

Try looking at http://www... download the windows pre-compiled
binaries, rename the zlib1.dll and put it there.

HTH,
--
Luis Lavena

Daniel Berger

On Jan 24, 7:40=A0am, Luis Lavena <luislav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 ene, 02:48, Munagala Ramanath <amberar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > [Note: =A0parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
>
> > After installing 1.9.0-0 binaries fromhttp://www.ruby-lang.org/...
> > on Windows, gem (i.e. gem list) fails with a popup diagnostic saying "Th=
> > application
> > failed to start because zlib.dll was not found."
>
> The message is clear: you lack zlib.dll file to use RubyGems
> (actually, the zlib extension is the one uss it).
>
> > Any help on where to get this dll and where to put it is appreciated.
>
> Try looking athttp://www.zlib.ne... the windows pre-compiled
> binaries, rename the zlib1.dll and put it there.

All the more reason we need a pure Ruby version of Zlib. :)

Regards,

Dan