comp.lang.lisp

verifying dependencies in asd defsystem

Jim Newton

7/28/2015 10:03:00 AM

I am starting with an asdf defsystem definition which many people have worked on in the past. Is there a way for me to verify that the dependencies are correct?

The first thing that I notice is that many files are registered some with :depends-on declarations. There are lots of these. It is possible, that in reality the files no longer depend on each other as indicated in the file, or that other dependencies have arisen as lisp files have been modified, but that the .asd file has not been kept up to date.

Is there already an asdf feature to check this? Or is there an external debugging utility program I can use? I've written similar checkers in the past, and while It is not possible (i believe) to find or verify 100% of the dependencies, there are some dependencies which can be checked statically.

Any thoughts?
2 Answers

lisper.inmove

Maybe you can try quicklisp to instead of asdf.

Zach Beane

Jim Newton <jimka.issy@gmail.com> writes:

> I am starting with an asdf defsystem definition which many people have
> worked on in the past. Is there a way for me to verify that the
> dependencies are correct?
>
> The first thing that I notice is that many files are registered some
> with :depends-on declarations. There are lots of these. It is
> possible, that in reality the files no longer depend on each other as
> indicated in the file, or that other dependencies have arisen as lisp
> files have been modified, but that the .asd file has not been kept up
> to date.
>
> Is there already an asdf feature to check this? Or is there an
> external debugging utility program I can use? I've written similar
> checkers in the past, and while It is not possible (i believe) to find
> or verify 100% of the dependencies, there are some dependencies which
> can be checked statically.
>
> Any thoughts?

There is a project called "asdf-dependency-grovel" that is meant to
this. It takes a project and tracks the explicit, actual dependencies
during loading.

I don't know if it works, though. The last time I tried to use it, I
could not figure out how to set it up.

I don't know of any other projects that do the same thing.

Zach