rubygems install in HOME for Ruby 1.9 ???

unbewust

1/23/2008 10:30:00 AM

i've installed rubygems 0.9.5 with ruby 1.9 lying in my HOME but i get
only a gems/1.8/ directory.

then i think i didn't use to correct version of rubygems ? is that
right ?

what is the best way to get rubygems working with ruby 1.9 installed
in HOME ???

i'm running over Mac OS X 10.4.11

apart from apple's ruby i do have also a ruby "MacPort" under /opt...

Yvon
8 Answers

Thomas Wieczorek

On Jan 23, 2008 11:34 AM, unbewusst <yvon.thoraval@gmail.com> wrote:
> i've installed rubygems 0.9.5 with ruby 1.9 lying in my HOME but i get
> only a gems/1.8/ directory.
>
> then i think i didn't use to correct version of rubygems ? is that
> right ?
>
> what is the best way to get rubygems working with ruby 1.9 installed
> in HOME ???
>
> i'm running over Mac OS X 10.4.11

I have no idea about OSX, but I think you can update your rubygems
easily if you go in the ~/ruby/bin directory(gem is located there) and
use
> sudo gem update --system
to update your Rubygems. I hope that helps.

unbewust

On 23 jan, 11:53, Thomas Wieczorek <wieczo...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 23, 2008 11:34 AM, unbewusst <yvon.thora...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > i've installed rubygems 0.9.5 with ruby 1.9 lying in my HOME but i get
> > only a gems/1.8/ directory.
>
> > then i think i didn't use to correct version of rubygems ? is that
> > right ?
>
> > what is the best way to get rubygems working with ruby 1.9 installed
> > in HOME ???
>
> > i'm running over Mac OS X 10.4.11
>
> I have no idea about OSX, but I think you can update your rubygems
> easily if you go in the ~/ruby/bin directory(gem is located there) and
> use> sudo gem update --system
>
> to update your Rubygems. I hope that helps.

OK, fine, thanks, i'll try that asap...

Stefano Crocco

Alle Wednesday 23 January 2008, unbewusst ha scritto:
> i've installed rubygems 0.9.5 with ruby 1.9 lying in my HOME but i get
> only a gems/1.8/ directory.
>
> then i think i didn't use to correct version of rubygems ? is that
> right ?
>
> what is the best way to get rubygems working with ruby 1.9 installed
> in HOME ???
>
> i'm running over Mac OS X 10.4.11
>
> apart from apple's ruby i do have also a ruby "MacPort" under /opt...
>
> Yvon

I installed ruby 1.9 alongside ruby 1.8 on my linux system without any
trouble. I don't know Mac OS X, but I heard is Unix based, so I think you can
use the steps I took, at least as a starting point.

Ruby 1.8 and rubygems were installed using my OS package manager, under the
/usr directory. So I had:

/usr/bin/ruby18
/usr/bin/ruby (a symlink to /usr/bin/ruby18)
/usr/bin/gem18
/usr/bin/gem (a symlink to /usr/bin/gem18)
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8

I decided to install ruby 1.9 in the /usr/local directory. You can choose any
other directory, of course, but you should make sure that it has a bin
subdirectory which is in you PATH. Moreover, I decided to install it using
appending the '19' suffix to the name of the programs, so that I could call
ruby 1.8 (which should remain the default one) with ruby and the new one with
ruby19.

After downloading and extracting the ruby-1.9 tarball, I issued the following
commands:

cd ruby-1.9.0-0
/configure --prefix=/usr/local --program-suffix=19
make
sudo make install

With this, the following files and directories (among others) were created:

/usr/local/bin/ruby19
/usr/local/bin/irb19
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9

I then downloaded the tgz package (version 1.0.1) from the rubygems rubyforge
page (http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126&releas...), extracted it
and did:

cd rubygems-1.0.1
sudo ruby19 setup.rb

It's important to notice I had to use ruby19 to install rubygems, not ruby.
This installed the rubygems .rb files in /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.0
and created the file /usr/local/bin/gem19.

To check that everything worked, I tried installing the rake gem:

sudo gem19 install rake

(again note, I called the 1.9 version of gem)

This created the directory /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.0 and installed rake
under it.

I hope this helps

Stefano

Joel VanderWerf

Stefano Crocco wrote:
> After downloading and extracting the ruby-1.9 tarball, I issued the following
> commands:
>
> cd ruby-1.9.0-0
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --program-suffix=19
> make
> sudo make install
>
> With this, the following files and directories (among others) were created:
>
> /usr/local/bin/ruby19
> /usr/local/bin/irb19
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9

Didn't this install /usr/local/bin/gem19, as well?

Stefano Crocco

Alle Wednesday 23 January 2008, Joel VanderWerf ha scritto:
> Stefano Crocco wrote:
> > After downloading and extracting the ruby-1.9 tarball, I issued the
> > following commands:
> >
> > cd ruby-1.9.0-0
> > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --program-suffix=19
> > make
> > sudo make install
> >
> > With this, the following files and directories (among others) were
> > created:
> >
> > /usr/local/bin/ruby19
> > /usr/local/bin/irb19
> > /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9
>
> Didn't this install /usr/local/bin/gem19, as well?

You're right! When I installed ruby 1.9, I didn't even think to check whether
gems were included with it, and assumed I had to install it manually, just as
with 1.8.

Stefano

unbewusst.sein

Stefano Crocco <stefano.crocco@alice.it> wrote:

> /configure --prefix=/usr/local --program-suffix=19

OK, fine, thanks, i needed the magick of "--program-suffix=19" )))

--
Une Bévue

unbewusst.sein

Stefano Crocco <stefano.crocco@alice.it> wrote:

> > Didn't this install /usr/local/bin/gem19, as well?
>
> You're right! When I installed ruby 1.9, I didn't even think to check whether
> gems were included with it, and assumed I had to install it manually, just as
> with 1.8.

both ways updating rubygems failed with :

~%> sudo gem19 update --system
Updating RubyGems...
Updating metadata for 489 gems from http://gems.rub...
[...]
complete
Attempting remote update of rubygems-update
Successfully installed rubygems-update-1.0.1
1 gem installed
Updating version of RubyGems to 1.0.1
Installing RubyGems 1.0.1
setup.rb:12:in `<main>': uninitialized constant Config (NameError)
--
Une Bévue

Eric Hodel

On Jan 25, 2008, at 10:34 AM, Une B=E9vue wrote:
> Stefano Crocco <stefano.crocco@alice.it> wrote:
>>> Didn't this install /usr/local/bin/gem19, as well?
>>
>> You're right! When I installed ruby 1.9, I didn't even think to =20
>> check whether
>> gems were included with it, and assumed I had to install it =20
>> manually, just as
>> with 1.8.
>
> both ways updating rubygems failed with :
>
> ~%> sudo gem19 update --system

There is no need to do this. Ruby 1.9.0 has the latest RubyGems.=