go to specific char in a file

Rudy Rusli

1/18/2008 9:06:00 AM

Hi

I am looking for a way to get to a specific character in a file.
Let's say i have the following lines in a file

ABC12AX3456XYZ
ABC123HGNasdfg

How do I ask ruby to grab character 3-8 on each line and display them on
the screen?

I would really appreciate if someone could show it by using regular
expressions.

thanks

tabing16

Stefano Crocco

Alle Friday 18 January 2008, Rudy Rusli ha scritto:
> Hi
>
> I am looking for a way to get to a specific character in a file.
> Let's say i have the following lines in a file
>
> ABC12AX3456XYZ
> ABC123HGNasdfg
>
> How do I ask ruby to grab character 3-8 on each line and display them on
> the screen?
>
> I would really appreciate if someone could show it by using regular
> expressions.
>
> thanks
>
> tabing16

Using a regexp is not the clearer way to do it, in my opinion. However, you
can do:

line.match(/^.{3}(.{6})/
puts $1

The simpler way is:

puts line[3..8]

(I assume that you're counting characters starting from 0).

Stefano

Rudy Rusli

> Using a regexp is not the clearer way to do it, in my opinion. However,
> you
> can do:
>
> line.match(/^.{3}(.{6})/
> puts $1
>
> The simpler way is:
>
> puts line[3..8]
>
> (I assume that you're counting characters starting from 0).
>
> Stefano

Hi Stefano

thanks for the speedy reply and solving it
I did try the second method.
I was just wondering if there's anyway to tackle it by using reg ex

cheers

tabing16

Lee Jarvis

Rudy Rusli wrote:
> I was just wondering if there's anyway to tackle it by using reg ex

Something like..

>> File.foreach('file') {|line| puts line.match(/^.{3}(.{5})/)[1] }
12AX3
123HG

?

Regards,