any tricks to speed up ruby?

Roger Pack

1/14/2008 6:05:00 PM

Wondering if anybody had suggestions for how to speed up 1.8.6 on an old
mac os x ppc. Thoughts?
Thanks.
-Roger

Bill Kelly

From: "Roger Pack" <rogerpack2005@gmail.com>

> Wondering if anybody had suggestions for how to speed up 1.8.6 on an old
> mac os x ppc. Thoughts?

Not sure if this applies to OS X or not, but there have been some posts recently
showing speed gains when one rebuilds 1.8.x configured with --disable-pthread
(if I recall correctly.)

Regards,

Bill

Roger Pack

> Not sure if this applies to OS X or not, but there have been some posts
> recently
> showing speed gains when one rebuilds 1.8.x configured with
> --disable-pthread

Thanks! Now if I can just figure out how to check if mine is built with
pthreads enabled...
-Roger

James Britt

Roger Pack wrote:
> Wondering if anybody had suggestions for how to speed up 1.8.6 on an old
> mac os x ppc. Thoughts?

Before this goes too far, the answer "Use C" would be considered:

A) Helpful
B) Trolling
C) Flame-bait
D) Laughable
E) None of the above

--
James Britt

"I have the uncomfortable feeling that others are making a religion
out of it, as if the conceptual problems of programming could be
solved by a single trick, by a simple form of coding discipline!"
- Edsger Dijkstra

Victor Reyes

On Jan 14, 2008 4:17 PM, James Britt <james.britt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Roger Pack wrote:
> > Wondering if anybody had suggestions for how to speed up 1.8.6 on an old
> > mac os x ppc. Thoughts?
>
> Before this goes too far, the answer "Use C" would be considered:
>
> A) Helpful
> B) Trolling
> C) Flame-bait
> D) Laughable
> E) None of the above
>

> --
> James Britt
>
> "I have the uncomfortable feeling that others are making a religion
> out of it, as if the conceptual problems of programming could be
> solved by a single trick, by a simple form of coding discipline!"
> - Edsger Dijkstra

Tomas Pospisek

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Roger Pack wrote:

>> Not sure if this applies to OS X or not, but there have been some posts
>> recently
>> showing speed gains when one rebuilds 1.8.x configured with
>> --disable-pthread
>
> Thanks! Now if I can just figure out how to check if mine is built with
> pthreads enabled...

tpo@petertosh:~$ ldd `which ruby`
[...]
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7e8e000)

This one has'em.
*t

Tomas Pospisek
http://sour... - Linux & Open Source Solutions

Robert Klemme

On 14.01.2008 19:55, Bill Kelly wrote:
> From: "Roger Pack" <rogerpack2005@gmail.com>
>> Wondering if anybody had suggestions for how to speed up 1.8.6 on an old
>> mac os x ppc. Thoughts?
>
> Not sure if this applies to OS X or not, but there have been some posts recently
> showing speed gains when one rebuilds 1.8.x configured with --disable-pthread
> (if I recall correctly.)

I also believe to remember that optimization options made a significant
difference.

Roger, you are sure that you have exhausted all optimizations of Ruby
code, are you?

Kind regards

robert

Roger Pack

Unfortunately it's for a rails app so I am unequivocally (except for
maybe using evented mongrel) stuck with the default app performance.
Thanks for the tips on the optimizations!
> Roger, you are sure that you have exhausted all optimizations of Ruby
> code, are you?
>
> Kind regards
>
> robert

Roger Pack

> Before this goes too far, the answer "Use C" would be considered:
>
> A) Helpful
> B) Trolling
> C) Flame-bait
> D) Laughable
> E) None of the above

I like it!
"Ruby is so slow! I can't believe no one out there has ways to optimize
1.8.6! Terrible!"
Bait thrown.
lol
Thanks.
-Roger

John Carter

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, James Britt wrote:

> Roger Pack wrote:
>> Wondering if anybody had suggestions for how to speed up 1.8.6 on an old
>> mac os x ppc. Thoughts?
>
> Before this goes too far, the answer "Use C" would be considered:
>
> A) Helpful
> B) Trolling
> C) Flame-bait
> D) Laughable
> E) None of the above

Helpfully trolling with laughable flamebait?

http://weblog.textdrive.com/article/175/rails-optimizing-reso...

http://rubygarden.org/ruby/page/show/RubyOp...

John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632
PO Box 1645 Christchurch Email : john.carter@tait.co.nz
New Zealand

Steve Ross

If you have a Rails app that is taking a long time in Ruby code, then
you obviously have a compute-intensive action. Perhaps you could find
the most expensive part of that action and rewrite it in C using ruby-
inline (http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/R...). If you
haven't looked into this, and if you really need to write some tight C
code, then you will kiss the feet of Ryan Davis for making it all so
easy.