IRB Keyboard Input Issues

Oliver Saunders

1/11/2008 5:12:00 PM

When I press the up arrow in IRB to access history I see this:
^[[A

I'm running it over SSH with PuTTy but BASH history works just fine.

Frederick Cheung

On 11 Jan 2008, at 17:12, Oliver Saunders wrote:

> When I press the up arrow in IRB to access history I see this:
> ^[[A
>
> I'm running it over SSH with PuTTy but BASH history works just fine.

Is the ruby you've got on your remote server built with readline ?

Fred

Oliver Saunders

> Is the ruby you've got on your remote server built with readline ?

It's 1.8.6, I used configure without any args when I built it.

Tammo Tjarks

Which OS are you using. On Solaris for example you have normally thsi
beahvior because readline is missing. You have to provide then first
readline and tell ruby that readline is avaiable (extend the Library path,
and I think there is a option --with-readline).

Regards,
Tammo

Oliver Saunders wrote:

>> Is the ruby you've got on your remote server built with readline ?
>
> It's 1.8.6, I used configure without any args when I built it.

Oliver Saunders

> Which OS are you using.
SSH from Windows to Ubuntu Linux

> You have to provide then first readline and tell ruby that readline is
> avaiable (extend the Library path, and I think there is a option
> --with-readline).

Umm...come again.

Luis Lavena

On 11 ene, 15:26, Oliver Saunders <oliver.saund...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is the ruby you've got on your remote server built with readline ?
>
> It's 1.8.6, I used configure without any args when I built it.

did you installed build dependencies for ruby?

sudo apt-get build-dep ruby1.8

--
Luis Lavena

Oliver Saunders

> did you installed build dependencies for ruby?
>
> sudo apt-get build-dep ruby1.8

I compiled it, I didn't install it from a package. If I was missing a
dependency I would have been told, surely? The compile was successful.

Joel VanderWerf

Oliver Saunders wrote:
>> did you installed build dependencies for ruby?
>>
>> sudo apt-get build-dep ruby1.8
>
> I compiled it, I didn't install it from a package. If I was missing a
> dependency I would have been told, surely? The compile was successful.

Look in ext/readline/. Does readline.o exist? If not, what does mkmf.log
say? Or, just run

ruby extconf.rb

in that dir and see if there are any failures.

Yu-raku-an

Hi, this is Yu-raku-an,

Oliver Saunders wrote:
>> did you installed build dependencies for ruby?
>>
>> sudo apt-get build-dep ruby1.8
>
> I compiled it, I didn't install it from a package. If I was missing a
> dependency I would have been told, surely? The compile was successful.

I think it may be because you do not have the sources of readline
library in your development environment.
Install them via your package system or any other way,
(readline-devel.i386 package for 'yum' on CentOS, for example)
and and go to ext/readline/, run 'ruby extconf.rb'.

Thank you.
--------------------------------------
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.j...

Marc Heiler

> It's 1.8.6, I used configure without any args when I built it.

readline will only be built if ruby can find the header files. Many
distributions cripple the installation by not providing the headers by
default for various
arbitrary reasons.

Once you sorted this readline problem (you know, this apt-get hassle or
yum or rpm...), go to your extracted ruby archive.

Do
cd ext/readline; ruby extconf.rb; make

That should give you readline support in ruby (i think it will also
complain
if it encounters a problem therein)

> I think there is a option --with-readline

Unfortunately there is not.

Oliver Saunders

Thanks guys I'll give some of these a try later.