how to use highline

Junkone

1/11/2008 2:58:00 AM

Hello
I am trying highline and am little confused here.
for eg
menu.choice(:load, "Load a file.") do |command, details|
say("Loading file with options: #{details}...")
end

what can go into command and details.
menu.choice(:list, "List Services.") do |system("dir c:
\temp"),details| but it does not like it. the examples that i ahve
dont have any clear examples for what the command is and what the
details are.

appreciate some input.
seede
2 Answers

Dante Regis

Hi there

I believe you are actually trying to do this:
menu.choice(:load, "Load a file") do |a, b|
system("dir c:\temp")
end
menu.choice(:close, "Close a file") do |a, b|
puts "hmm, let's close it"
end

You see, command and details, on the example, are variable names. You don't
actually put what you want the menu to execute in there. It is a Ruby Block,
maybe you would want to read something on
http://whytheluckystiff.net/ruby/pickaxe/html/tut_conta... (search
for "Blocks for Transactions" on the page).

I named the variables A and B so you can see that the name you give them
don't matter (at least not to ruby, but surely matters to your mental sanity
if you look to the code after a few months). Variable A will have :load or
:close as it's value, depending on what you type on the menu when it's
running.

Hope this helps

Dante

On Jan 11, 2008 12:00 AM, Junkone <junkone1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
> I am trying highline and am little confused here.
> for eg
> menu.choice(:load, "Load a file.") do |command, details|
> say("Loading file with options: #{details}...")
> end
>

> what can go into command and details.
> menu.choice(:list, "List Services.") do |system("dir c:
> \temp"),details| but it does not like it. the examples that i ahve
> dont have any clear examples for what the command is and what the
> details are.
>
> appreciate some input.
> seede

James Gray

On Jan 10, 2008, at 11:42 PM, Dante Regis wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I believe you are actually trying to do this:
> menu.choice(:load, "Load a file") do |a, b|
> system("dir c:\temp")
> end
> menu.choice(:close, "Close a file") do |a, b|
> puts "hmm, let's close it"
> end
>
> You see, command and details, on the example, are variable names.
> You don't
> actually put what you want the menu to execute in there. It is a
> Ruby Block,
> maybe you would want to read something on
> http://whytheluckystiff.net/ruby/pickaxe/html/tut_conta...
> (search
> for "Blocks for Transactions" on the page).

You may also want to over HighLine's menu examples:

http://highline.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/highline/example...

James Edward Gray II