thanks all

Roger Pack

1/10/2008 11:38:00 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone for their work on Ruby.
Here is why I love it:
very descriptive! I can add functions to existing classes and suddenly
String.to_parsed_date works and makes sense.
Blocks--annoying at the beginning, in the end they are priceless as
reducing code usage.
EventMachine--suddenly Ruby works with network apps and doesn't die!
Celestial!
Cool user base :)
Take care.
-Roger

Joel VanderWerf

Roger Pack wrote:
> Blocks--annoying at the beginning, in the end they are priceless as
> reducing code usage.

Out of curiosity... what seemed annoying about them, and what was it
that changed your mind (an example, an explanation,...)?

Roger Pack

Joel VanderWerf wrote:
> Roger Pack wrote:
>> Blocks--annoying at the beginning, in the end they are priceless as
>> reducing code usage.
>
> Out of curiosity... what seemed annoying about them, and what was it
> that changed your mind (an example, an explanation,...)?

Figuring out what they are at all--I'm passing a block?
syntax for a block. &block
But in retrospect we mostly use them as newbies without knowing what we
are doing, and that's ok.

Marc Heiler

> Figuring out what they are at all--I'm passing a block?
> syntax for a block. &block
> But in retrospect we mostly use them as newbies without knowing what we
> are doing, and that's ok.

Isn't a block just something like {} ?

Roger Pack

Marc Heiler wrote:
>> Figuring out what they are at all--I'm passing a block?
>> syntax for a block. &block
>> But in retrospect we mostly use them as newbies without knowing what we
>> are doing, and that's ok.
>

> Isn't a block just something like {} ?

It is, and also do...end
I guess the familiarity of {} with C also helps one integrate to ruby
more easily.
Take care!